Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP 2605 Color Printer
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I recently dug my old HP 2605 out of a back room, installed new color toner cartridges and stupidly installed the firmware update.  Now my printer is continuously showing Error 79 on the display and reboots.  I searched this forum for a fix and saw that the issue I'm having is with the update I installed.  I tried removing and reinstalling the white ribbon in the back of the printer but that only allowed me to print one document, then the error returned.  I do not have any RAM installed in the back nor have I ever had additional RAM.   Is the printer done or is the previous firmware still available? 

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Disconnect all cables other than the power cable and restart the printer. If it comes to ready and does not error out for at least ten minutes, it is more likely a driver issue on the computer and not a printer issue. You probably have a wrong or corrupted driver or bad print job that keeps being resent to the printer. You need to clear any print queues that are trying to send print jobs. If the error exists even when there are no cable connected then likely cause is a bad formatter.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

I have power cycled the printer and and 'ready' is displayed in the window.  I am able to print a test page and config report from the printer without issue.  I've verified that there are no jobs in the queue and after 10 minutes, I sent a simple Word document to the printer via USB cable and got the attached error.HP2605 Error.PNG

HP Recommended

The printer is listed as supported by UPD, so you might have a corrupt driver. The following footnote is attached to the compatibility page for this printer/driver combination

This printer must first install an .msi file in order to successfully install a driver using a USB connection. Normally, this should install automatically unless Windows Update is disabled or there is no connection to the internet.
To obtain the .msi file, make sure Windows Update is enabled and then run Windows Update which will automatically install the .msi file and driver. If Windows Update is disabled, go to the hp.com, download the HP LaserJet USB (DOT4) communication driver for Windows from hp.com, load the HP PCL6 driver into the driver store, and then connect the USB cable.
If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.