Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet Pro 8600
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

Printer is showing this error:  The following cartridges are not intended for use in this printer mcy.  I'm using the correct original HP cartridges.  I've followed all of the troubleshooting suggestions, but still cannot print.  Has any one experienced this problem and found a solution?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Bob, no need to escalate this case.  I'm picking up a new printer today.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

What country are you in?  What is the Z designation on the color cartridges (Z10, Z20, Z30 or Z40)? What is the Z designation of the black cartridge?  What was the designation for the color cartridges you are replacing?

HP introduced regionalization for the 950/951 cartrdiges in early 2017.  The printer will lock itself to the first regionlized cartridge it sees.  If you are in the US the cartridges will be Z10.

If any other Z cartrdiges (Z20, Z30, Z40) have been installed you will need to Contact HP to request a "Regionalization Reset". There should not be any charge for this, it is covered as part of the cartridge warranty. You will need to have access to your computer and printer while on the line with HP. You will also need to have a set of cartridges for the new region, once the reset is complete cartridges from the original region will no longer work.  HP's web page on the subject is here.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Hi Bob,

Thanks for your reply.  I'm in the US.  All cartridges are Z10 and are for use in the US and Canada.

HP Recommended

If your printer is connected by a network connection then enter the IP Address of your printer in your browser.  (This can be found from the front panel.)  This will bring up the printer's Embedded Web Server.  Click the Tools tab at the top, then click the Ink Gauge link at the left.  This will bring up information on the ink cartridges.  Please report on the Ink Zone and Supported Cartridges sections.

8600 ink.png

If your printer is not on the network similar information can be obtained from the front panel.  From the home page touch the ink droplets at the top of the screen.  Next touch More which will bring up information on each cartridge.  What is listed for the supported cartridge?

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Thanks Bob.   The old cartridges read as empty.  The new cartridges (although correct for the printer) are listed as incompatible.   I've given up on this printer, as I've spent 3 days trying every troubleshooting suggestion.  I truly appreciate your effort to help me resolve this issue.  

HP Recommended

Are the empty cartridges Z10?  What are the "Ink Zone" and "Supported Cartridges" listed in the EWS or from the front panel?

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

HP Recommended

All are Z10.  

HP Recommended

If the previous cartridges are Z10 and were accepted (but now empty) and the new cartrdiges are genuine HP and Z10 but not accepted it would appear you have some defective cartridges.  The cartridges do have a warranty, see the document here for information

I will ask to have your case escalated.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

HP Recommended

Bob, no need to escalate this case.  I'm picking up a new printer today.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.