Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
DeskJet 3700

I print only a few times a year so I do not use much ink.  Any suggestions for keeping my cartridges from drying out?  I put tape over the opening and stored in ziplock bags but even that did not seem to help.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@KyleA72 Welcome to HP Community!

I understand that the ink cartridges dry out.

HP recommends that all cartridges remain sealed in the original package until they are installed.

Nozzles can crust over if supplies are not kept in properly humidified airtight containers. Ink can wick from nozzles if anything touches them.

After the tape or caps have been removed, cartridges and printheads should remain installed in the product.

CAUTION: 

Improper storage can damage cartridges and printheads.

Storing Opened Cartridges and Printheads

• If opened supplies must be stored outside of the product, place them (nozzles up) in a plastic tub with an airtight lid.

• Some cartridges have an orange cap that is twisted off to open. If these supplies have been opened, replace the orange cap before it is stored.

• Place a damp cloth or paper in the tub.

• Do not use plastic bags. Do not allow anything to touch the cartridge nozzles.

Figure : Plastic tub with an airtight lid

Image: Plastic tub with an airtight lid

Figure : Do not touch the cartridge nozzles

Image: Do not touch the cartridge nozzles

Try to clean the nozzles and try to print.

If you have the same issue, you have to replace the ink cartridges. 

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@KyleA72 Welcome to HP Community!

I understand that the ink cartridges dry out.

HP recommends that all cartridges remain sealed in the original package until they are installed.

Nozzles can crust over if supplies are not kept in properly humidified airtight containers. Ink can wick from nozzles if anything touches them.

After the tape or caps have been removed, cartridges and printheads should remain installed in the product.

CAUTION: 

Improper storage can damage cartridges and printheads.

Storing Opened Cartridges and Printheads

• If opened supplies must be stored outside of the product, place them (nozzles up) in a plastic tub with an airtight lid.

• Some cartridges have an orange cap that is twisted off to open. If these supplies have been opened, replace the orange cap before it is stored.

• Place a damp cloth or paper in the tub.

• Do not use plastic bags. Do not allow anything to touch the cartridge nozzles.

Figure : Plastic tub with an airtight lid

Image: Plastic tub with an airtight lid

Figure : Do not touch the cartridge nozzles

Image: Do not touch the cartridge nozzles

Try to clean the nozzles and try to print.

If you have the same issue, you have to replace the ink cartridges. 

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.