Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
ENVY 5660
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

New setup - been trying for over a year to get this 'printer' to be useful. 

I've unset and reset the ink cartridges MANY time but it continues to tell me that there is a problem.

I've removed every bit of plastic tape and protective  stuff I can find.  

I've installed the drivers, uninstalled the drivers, reinstalled the drivers and yet I still get this error.

I've rebooted the printer MANY times.

I've followed the instructions of the many other people who also have run into this issue but to no avail.

Because I can't get past this error, it won't allow me to set up the wireless connection.

I'm so irritated with this POC, I'm ready to go out and buy a working printer.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello again jsnake,

Oh! 

Well you have the original cartridges?  Have they never been out of the packaging?  Have they been inserted into the printer back when?  The cardboard packaging has a date; not a "use by" date, as HP says they are good past that.

Are we talking about brand new cartridges?  The new cartridges could be defective.  Assume you have the correct HP 62 cartridges and they are Original HP product.  

If they are used, opened and have sat for a year, the nozzles have dried.  They may be unusable.

You could try some of the cartridge cleaning in the next link if they may be dried out.

Also, as far as “setting up the wireless connection,” there’s other steps for that.

For more steps follow the steps in this link. Note the removal/reinserting is done more than once.  Even having done so, try again with the instructions in the link.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04326733  entitled HP DeskJet, ENVY, OfficeJet Printers - Ink Cartridge Errors  5600 series and 5700 series

You could attempt to isolate if only one of the cartridges is defective in this link:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00033152 entitled HP Inkjet Printers - Printing with One Ink Cartridge

If still unsuccessful, please get back for other steps.  Provide detail of what you have tried.

I am not an HP employee; just searching for helpful answers for queries on the forum.

A reply is greatly appreciated, if suggestions help or not, as the multitude of volunteers on the forums respond to lots of queries, which requires a great deal of time.  Good luck. 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hello Jsake,

You have done an  excellent job of troubleshooting and trying to solve the problem.  .. and you have been extremely determined in you attempt.

Would you please clarify:  in your message you say "New setup" but you continue "for over a year."   I surmise that you mean (obliquely) the Initial Setup (starting a year ago) never has worked.  Correct?

First off, you did not indicate that for over a year, whether or not that it never printed or copied/scanned from the top glass.  So, does it sometimes work?   So, today, can you print, copy or scan?  Please reply about that to get started with troubleshooting.

When  you first set up the printer’s software on the Win 8.1 computer, did it perform all its functions (print, copy, scan) at first, when it was new?

And if so, what happens when it doesn’t, do you get any error messages.  … and what are you doing at the time when the problem crops up?

Since it’s out of warranty any help from HP Support would be billed.  That being said, you probably have a defective printer, since you have always had a problem.  

Have you been using a USB printer cable to print, etc.?

To install the printer's software, what source(s) do you use?  Have you used the software disc that comes in the box?

I am not an HP employee; just searching for helpful answers for queries on the forum.

A reply is greatly appreciated, if suggestions help or not, as the multitude of volunteers on the forums respond to lots of queries, which requires a great deal of time.  Good luck.

HP Recommended

New Setup as in I've never gotten past this point.  I received the printer and was just setting it up as my husband got ill and I was unable to spend any more time on getting this printer to work.  I lost my husband and now have finally gotten back to try to finish setting the printer up.  It's never worked.  Yes, it's out of warranty but my hubby was much more important than this printer will ever be.

I've never done anything with it.  I can't get past the INK CARTRIDGES PROBLEM screen to any other menu to do anything else.

I turn it on, see the HP icon, then the add paper screen -  it's has paper loaded (I don't even press the done button) and then it immediately goes to the  INK CARTRIDGES PROBLEM screen.

I really appreciate your help,  I'm ready to just chuck this thing and get something that works.  😞    

HP Recommended

Hello again jsnake,

Oh! 

Well you have the original cartridges?  Have they never been out of the packaging?  Have they been inserted into the printer back when?  The cardboard packaging has a date; not a "use by" date, as HP says they are good past that.

Are we talking about brand new cartridges?  The new cartridges could be defective.  Assume you have the correct HP 62 cartridges and they are Original HP product.  

If they are used, opened and have sat for a year, the nozzles have dried.  They may be unusable.

You could try some of the cartridge cleaning in the next link if they may be dried out.

Also, as far as “setting up the wireless connection,” there’s other steps for that.

For more steps follow the steps in this link. Note the removal/reinserting is done more than once.  Even having done so, try again with the instructions in the link.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04326733  entitled HP DeskJet, ENVY, OfficeJet Printers - Ink Cartridge Errors  5600 series and 5700 series

You could attempt to isolate if only one of the cartridges is defective in this link:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00033152 entitled HP Inkjet Printers - Printing with One Ink Cartridge

If still unsuccessful, please get back for other steps.  Provide detail of what you have tried.

HP Recommended

Yes I have the original cartridges that came with the printer  but they were inserted back when I was trying to set it up originally.  They are probably dry as a bone, it's been super hot and dry in my area and everything gets  dried out  quickly.

I will check the links and see if that helps, I'm not sure if I want to waste the money on more ink and then find out the printer is defective since this happened immediately upon opening.  I'm probably just going to chuck this printer and get a new one with a warranty.

You've been super helpful and I really appreciate all of your time and knowledge.

Thank you.

HP Recommended

It turns out that the black ink cartridge was the problem and the link you provided showed me how to  be able to print with just one cartridge.  That allowed me to get the wireless connection set up and allowed me to do a test print using just the color cartridge.  You saved me a lot of money and grief, I can not tell you how much I appreciate how much help you provided and being so patient with me.  

Thank you very much, RichAnt.

HP Recommended

Hello again jsnake,

That sounds like a plan; having the warranty helps.  If you have problems upon setup get back to HP Support asap.

The 5660 is no longer available; its replacement model  is 7155; while the HP Envy 7855 is similar to the 5660 with document feed on top.   Also, the 5540 is similar and has been replaced by Envy 6255.  Watch out, you may see a relatively  inexpensive printer; but they may be refurbished.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_1_15?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=hp+7155+all+in+on...

Here is a 5660 printer on Amazon:  

https://www.amazon.com/HP-Wireless-Printer-Printing-F8B04A/dp/B00MFG43SC/ref=pd_sbs_229_6?_encoding=...

Be sure to run the printer to keep the nozzles from drying - once a month or more.

I'm so sorry you've lost your husband.  Best wishes and Bye.

Rich

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.