Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Deskjet 6940
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I would like to print transparencies for use as screen printing positives. I do so now, and wonder if I can manipulate the print settings to make the black more opaque. I print from Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator. I use HP ink, HP transparency film, and I choose settings in the Adobe products which then seem to be overridden by my decision to set the print characteristics in the HP printer driver software. My printer is a 6940, the driver software is HPF6940T.GPD 6.11.2009. The the printer is no longer actively supported but the question is general and I'd be happy to get some knowledge regarding currently supported printers. So far the most opaque black I get on HP transparency film is to choose a paper type of HP premium photo plus paper. I do not choose the 'print from black cartidge only' option. I choose 'best' quality. The results are such that I need to print two copies and sandwich them together to block UV light effectively for screen exposure. I've read a lot of various (other) forum posts about manipulating the type of black or color gamut settings in the Adobe Software, and then messing around with the Epson printer driver settings, but I don't have an Epson. I've seen some forum questions on here that are similar to this, but they've been archived, and weren't answered well. So I thought I'd ask again. Using HP products, drivers, ink, supplies, using an HP laptop and wearing an HP T-shirt;  how do I print the darkest most UV blockingest transparencies. Note I don't care about any color than black, nor do I care about finest resolution or most minute detail. I want opaque black. I'd be thankful for any feedback. 

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@DBGLass

Thanks for taking an interest in the HP Support Forums After reading your post I see that you require assistance with printing on transparencies. I will be a delight to assist you here.

Superb analysis and brilliant diagnosis of the issue before posting. 🙂  Kudos to you on that score.:)

You should just be able to load the transparency in the tray (I would suggest,

only load one at a time) and then when you go to print, you would selecting Printing Preferences (this can be different, depending on what software you are using) and then on the Paper/Quality tab, select Letter as the Paper Size (assuming they are standard letter-size transparencies) and then 'Transparency Film' as the Media Type.

trasparency.jpg

I found this YouTube video that might be helpful:-  https://hp.care/2J8q9Ye (but please note that this is not created or sanctioned by HP.  Just a video I came across while looking for more information.)

Hope that helps!

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for the quick response sandytechy20. I reviewed the advice you provided, and took a look at the video for which you provided a link. Both the advice and link are accurate and useful solutions to printing the normal transparency on the Deskjet 6940. I am able to print transparencies this way without any trouble. Unfortunately the black is not nearly dark enough for use in screen printing. I will attempt to state my original question more clearly: Using HP products, drivers, ink, and transparency film how may I print a darker more light-blocking black for use as screen printing positive? My best results have been by choosing a paper type of HP Premium Photo Plus paper, rather than either of the two 'transparency' choices. Of the two transparency choice provided by the driver menu, the HP Premium Inket Film provided a slightly darker black than the 'other transparency film' selection, but it is not as dark as when I choose HP premium Photo Paper Plus. And none of them print a acceptable black. I must print two sheets and sandwich them together. 

HP Recommended

@DBGLass

Thanks for the reply.

I appreciate your time and effort.

This issue may require one to one interaction with the HP Phone Support.

I suggest that you contact HP Phone Support for further assistance at the link: www.hp.com/contacthp

You have a good day ahead.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.