Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Officejet 8720

Following router replacement on a small network, a customer reported 3 weeks after installation that the printer was not connecting to the Instant Ink service.   This had previously worked fine.

The printer was printing from the email service okay and the internet connection seemed okay

Online searches revealed possibilities including printer date time, DNS settings on the printer and perhaps a need for firewall ports to be configured.  None of these appeared to be the issue, since they were unchanged from the previous working configuration.

Following further diagnostics and network packet capture, I found the the printer connections to the Instant Ink service were not reaching the WAN since the packets were set not to fragment, and were being rejected by the router. 

Once this was discovered, I determined the highest MTU value that allowed connection to Instant Ink, tweaked the MTU value in the router to match and Instant Ink service connections were restored (i.e. reduced the MTU value slightly from the specified value).  No firewall rules needed.

This seems to be a solution that I've not found documented online.    

I accept that this was probably a misconfiguration of the router MTU, but I suspect that many people installing a new router would not change the default value.

Has anyone else discovered an issue with fragmented packets preventing connection to Instant Ink?

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi,

Have you tried restoring the network defaults for the printer and then reconfigure it? to deny any remaining settings from your old router.

Swipe down the top gray bar and then click the Setup icon.

Select Printer Maintenance.

Under Restore Settings select Network and confirm any prompt, then reconnect the printer if it is wirelessly connected

If there is no change, is the printer connected to the network wirelessly or with an ethernet cable?

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

@Shlomi
The printer is connected to a wireless network,  I first tried another wireless network from a mobile hotspot and since that connected okay, it showed that it was some issue with the local network and not the printer.  

I am convinced that the problem was packet fragmentation but just surprised that I've not seen that mentioned anywhere.

thanks

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.