Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Deskjet 2512 All-in-One Printer

Hello - My printer was recently low on black ink so I went to cancel the long print job since it wasn't printing correctly. However, I accidentally removed the printer instead. I have since installed a new black ink cartridge and reinstalled the printer, but the printer continues flashing an error that it's low on black ink and the computer says the status is "idle." Nothing will print. I've tried absolutely all troubleshooting to my knowledge, both by myself & with a Microsoft support person while screen-sharing. They determined there is a printer configuration error. I have disconnected all wires, restarted the computer, tried different ink cartridges in case the one was faulty, installed updates, etc. Most things more than once. Please help.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi @jj538,

Welcome to HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

It sounds like your HP Deskjet 2512 printer is having difficulty recognizing the new ink cartridge, possibly due to a misconfiguration issue or a lingering software glitch. Here are a few steps you can try to resolve the problem, even after having done extensive troubleshooting.

Complete Printer Reset

• Turn off the printer and disconnect all cables, including the power cord.
  • Wait at least 60 seconds before reconnecting.
  • Plug the printer back in and turn it on. This can help clear any internal errors.

Reinstall the Printer Driver

• Uninstall the current printer driver from your computer:
    • On Windows, go to Control Panel > Devices and Printers, right-click the printer, and choose Remove Device.
    • Then uninstall any associated HP software via Settings > Apps.
  • Download the latest driver and software from the HP Support website.
  • Reinstall the printer by following the steps from scratch.

Run HP Print and Scan Doctor

• HP offers a free tool called HP Print and Scan Doctor. This can detect and fix many configuration errors.
    • Download it from here.
    • Run the tool and follow the prompts.

Check for Firmware Updates

• Sometimes the issue is related to outdated firmware that affects ink recognition.
  • Visit HP's Firmware Update page and check if there are any firmware updates available for your printer model.

Reset Ink Levels

• It’s possible that the printer is "stuck" with the low ink warning from the previous cartridge.
  • Try resetting the printer’s ink level system:
    • Remove the new cartridge.
    • Turn off the printer for a few minutes.
    • Reinstall the cartridge and turn the printer back on.
    • Alternatively, try using an HP-authorized tool or software to reset ink levels.

Try Manual Cartridge Cleaning

• The cartridge contacts or the printer’s contact points might be dirty.
  • Gently wipe the contacts on the cartridge with a lint-free cloth slightly dampened with water, and let them dry before reinstalling.

Check Printer Settings

• On your computer, check that the correct printer is set as the default:
    • Go to Settings > Devices > Printers & scanners and ensure the Deskjet 2512 is the default printer.
  • Try setting the print mode to "black and white" only to see if that resolves the issue temporarily.

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Alden4

HP Support 

I am an HP Employee.
HP Recommended

Hi - Thanks for the troubleshooting tips. I really think I tried all of this already, but I went through it all again and it unfortunately did not fix the issue. I read on another post that someone took out the black cartridge and then could print with color only, so I tried that. It successfully printed out a test page but then would not print any jobs I attempted. Is there a way to fix this issue, even if by temporarily printing in color only?

HP Recommended

Hi @jj538 

Welcome to the HP support community.

I understand you're experiencing an issue with your HP device, and I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. I'm here to help you today.

If your HP DeskJet 2512 is having issues printing with the black cartridge, here are some additional steps you can try to enable printing in color only, even if temporarily:

1. Check Color Settings:

• In your print settings, make sure you select the option for "Print in Color." This can sometimes be hidden under advanced settings or preferences, depending on the application you're using.

2. Disable Black Cartridge:

• You can try to disable the black cartridge in the printer settings:
    • Go to Control Panel > Devices and Printers.
    • Right-click on your printer and select Printing Preferences.
    • Look for an option like Color or Print using color ink only and enable it.

3. Use a Different Application:

• Try printing from a different application (like Word, Paint, or a PDF viewer) to see if you can bypass any specific app settings that may be affecting the print job.

4. Clean the Print Head:

• If you haven't done this already, clean the print head. You can usually find this option in the printer software or HP Smart app.

5. Reset the Printer:

• Turn off the printer, unplug it for a minute, then plug it back in and turn it on. This can sometimes reset any temporary issues.

6. Temporary Workaround:

• If you need to print urgently and color printing is working, consider using a color document as a temporary workaround. Adjust your documents to minimize reliance on black ink.

7. Check Cartridge Installation:

• Make sure the black cartridge is seated properly. Sometimes removing and reinstalling the cartridge can resolve connection issues.

8. Replace the Black Cartridge:

• If the black cartridge is old or has been used extensively, it might be worth replacing it with a new one, as it may be faulty.

I hope this helps! Keep me posted.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

-Regards
Raj-HP Support

Raj2111
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply. I've tried all steps below that I could but none of these work either. There is no color option listed under my Printer Preferences and nothing will communicate in HP Smart so I can't clean the print head. I tried reinserting the black cartridge and hooking it up to a different computer, and now it's saying both cartridges are damaged or have failed. This is the 3rd brand new black cartridge I've tried so that's not the issue. The only thing I can think of is it's not an authentic HP cartridge but I've never used HP cartridges for the years we've owned the printer and never had a single issue. I wouldn't want to buy an HP cartridge now after spending $40 or so in other cartridges just to waste more money. I've spent hours and hours troubleshooting this and am about to give up and get a new printer unless you have any other easy solutions. The exact message I'm getting now is "Black - Tricolor - Cartridges listed above are damaged or have failed. Remove them and replace with new cartridges."

HP Recommended

Hi @jj538 

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query. I will be glad to assist you.

I see that there is an issue with the hardware and may need repair.

I've sent you a private message with the instructions. In order to access your private messages, Click the Private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Community profile Next, to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it or simply click on this link

We appreciate your understanding and patience.

Take care and have a good day.

-Regards

Raj-HP Support

Raj2111
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.