Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

So I printed something tonight and all the sudden my printer is now displaying a? Underneath the home button Anyone know how to fix that I have racked my brain trying to figure it out

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @Melin309,

Welcome to HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

When your HP ENVY 5055 printer displays a "?" (question mark) underneath the home button, it generally indicates confusion or an error related to the printer's status or a specific function. Here are some steps you can follow to troubleshoot and hopefully resolve the issue:

Check for Error Messages:

• Look for any error messages on the printer display or on your computer screen. Sometimes, the "?" might be associated with a more specific error message or code that can guide your troubleshooting.

Review the Printer’s Manual:

• Consult the printer's user manual for any references to the "?" symbol or look up the symbol in the troubleshooting section of the manual. HP's official website also has manuals and troubleshooting guides.

Restart the Printer:

• Turn off the printer using its power button.
  • Unplug it from the power source, wait for about 30 seconds, then plug it back in and turn it on. This can help to reset the printer’s internal state and clear any temporary glitches.

Check Ink or Toner Levels:

• Low ink or toner can sometimes cause error messages. Check the levels and replace any cartridges that are low or empty.

Check for Paper Jams:

• Open the printer and check for any paper jams or debris that might be causing the printer to malfunction. Even a small piece of paper stuck in the printer can cause issues.

Look at Connection Status:

• Ensure that the printer’s connection to your computer or network is secure. This includes checking USB cables or making sure your wireless connection is stable.

Update Printer Firmware:

• Sometimes, a firmware update can resolve underlying issues. Check the HP website for any available updates for your HP ENVY 5055 and follow the instructions to apply any updates.

HP Print and Scan Doctor:

• HP offers a free tool called HP Print and Scan Doctor for Windows, which can help diagnose and resolve printing and scanning problems. Download and run this tool to see if it can fix the issue

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a good day.

Please mark this post as “Accepted Solution” if the issue is resolved and if you feel this reply was helpful click “Yes”.

Rachel571

HP Support

Rachel571
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.