Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Envy 4500 All-in-One
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I have been searching a way to contact HP support directly with no avail. My problem is very simple, I have a U. S.-spec Envy 4500 printer which uses the HP 61 ink cartridge. However, after moving to Italy, I bought genuine HP 301 ink cartridge, which is identical to the HP 61 ink. After I inserted it in my printer, it showed not to be supported by this printer. I know these are identical ink cartridges. The message states: "Incompatible cartridge(s) The indicated cartridges are not intended for us in this printer".

I read that the same printer are coded for different regions depending on where it is purchased, hence i would like to request the procedure for changing the region to Europe for this printer.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@1000uf Welcome to HP Community, 

If you've purchased the printer in one country/region and moved to another, the printer will require a regional reset, in order to get the cartridges working from the new region, that said, here's what I recommend:

You may send a private message to the HP Facebook Team: https://www.facebook.com/HPSupport for a faster response. If you've already attempted the same and need a response here, I'll need a few more details, 

Check next to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it. Click here for more details

on how to access the private messages on HP Forums.

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

I have asked a Moderator to help get you connected to a team member who can help you with your printer regionalization issue

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

@1000uf Welcome to HP Community, 

If you've purchased the printer in one country/region and moved to another, the printer will require a regional reset, in order to get the cartridges working from the new region, that said, here's what I recommend:

You may send a private message to the HP Facebook Team: https://www.facebook.com/HPSupport for a faster response. If you've already attempted the same and need a response here, I'll need a few more details, 

Check next to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it. Click here for more details

on how to access the private messages on HP Forums.

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for the help. Following the tech support's instruction I can now use the European HP 301 ink catridges instead of the U. S. HP 61 cartridges.

1) Launch the printer software from the desktop icon or Or, from the Start menu, click Start, All Programs, HP, the Product Name, and then the Product Name again.

2) Double-click the Estimated Ink Levels icon in the printer software. The Estimated Ink Levels window opens.

3) Press and hold the CTRL and SHIFT keys, and then right-click anywhere in the Estimated Ink Levels window, except for a button. The Set New Region window opens.

4) If the Set New Region window fails to open, right-click to the right and left of the Estimated Ink Levels window.

5) On the set new region window where it says "Enter reset code provided by the support personnel"

HP Recommended

@1000uf wrote:

Thanks for the help. Following the tech support's instruction I can now use the European HP 301 ink catridges instead of the U. S. HP 61 cartridges.

[snip]

5) On the set new region window where it says "Enter reset code provided by the support personnel"

Note that step 5 is key - you will need to contact HP to get a reset code.  The code from one printer will not work on a different printer, and the code that works once on a printer will not work later.  If you enter incorrect codes you risk "bricking" your printer.  DO NOT ATTEMPT A REGIONALIZTION RESET WITHOUT SUPPORT OF AN HP AGENT.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.