Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
OfficeJet 3830
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I would like to change the printer network name.  I am referrinf to the name that is displayed when a search for wireless networks is done on a divice; not the name of the printer itself.   Can this be done?  If so how?

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@David223 

Network name(s) for your network are assigned on the Router that you use to control your network.

You can easily change the name(s) of your Wireless network(s).

Know that after you change the name of the router, that all your devices (that depend on that network) must be reconnected and configured to the new network SSID (name of network).

Simple Example
Linksys setup - Wireless Network Names

Network_SSID_Names_1Network_SSID_Names_1

The How-to instructions are different for each router brand.  Log into your router - if the instructions / help are not available within the router management panes, search for your router manual online to find the help you need to edit / manage your router and your Wireless network.

If you do not know what any of this means, consider leaving your network name alone until you read and learn about changing your network setup.  The warning is not meant to be insulting - the advice is meant to keep you from doing something that will get you into trouble if you are unprepared.

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Click Thumbs Up on a post to say Thank You!

Answered? Click post "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

I am not asking how to change my network name (SSID).  I am referring to the name that appears as a network after connecting the computer to the printer.  For example, if using HPSmart, after making a connection with the printer, a search for available networks will list HP-Print-DF-Laser Jet Prop MFP.   If using the HP Scan App, the listed network will be Direct-1D-HP ENNY 5540 series.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.