Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
deskjet 1112
Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite

This is my first post, hello!

Been very happy with my HP Deskjet 1000 J110, at $29, a great bargain!

For my purpose it was perfect. I am a metal engraver and printed from Photoshop my designs on Pictorico transparency sheets,  placed face down on my silver plates, coated with a thin damar varnich. The transparency could be exactly aligned and the printed design then burnished from on top, dropped the printed ink off the sheet to adhere onto the silver plate. With this guide I would then hand engrave.

I bought your new version the Deskjet 1112 series.. prints well on paper, and on my Pictorico transpareny, but will absolutely not tranfer to my prepared silver. You have changed the ink formula on me!!

Can I use the older Black Cartridge no 61, meant for the Deskjet 1000J110, in my new model?

Or?? 

Thank you,

Scotflute

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @scotflute,

Thanks for reaching out to the HP Support Forums with your ink inquiry.

I understand that you are wondering if the HP 61 ink cartridges that you used to use with your old HP Deskjet 1000 will work in your new HP Deskjet 1112 Printer. I would like to help.

In North America and Asia Pacific, the only ink cartridges that will work in the HP Deskjet 1112 Printer is the HP 63 Black or Tri-color ink cartridges. The printer will reject any other cartridges. Here is a support document that shows the compatible ink cartridges - Which Cartridges Work with My HP Printer?

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance.

In fact, if this helps you to reach a solution please click the "Accept as Solution", and the "thumbs up" buttons down below in this message. 🙂

Thanks!

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom to say “Thanks” for helping.

rb011
I work on behalf of HP

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi @scotflute,

Thanks for reaching out to the HP Support Forums with your ink inquiry.

I understand that you are wondering if the HP 61 ink cartridges that you used to use with your old HP Deskjet 1000 will work in your new HP Deskjet 1112 Printer. I would like to help.

In North America and Asia Pacific, the only ink cartridges that will work in the HP Deskjet 1112 Printer is the HP 63 Black or Tri-color ink cartridges. The printer will reject any other cartridges. Here is a support document that shows the compatible ink cartridges - Which Cartridges Work with My HP Printer?

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance.

In fact, if this helps you to reach a solution please click the "Accept as Solution", and the "thumbs up" buttons down below in this message. 🙂

Thanks!

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

rb011
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Thank you for this valuable reply, rb011,

Given that ink cartridge no 61 will give me tranparenct prints that will tranfer onto my silver to be engraved, I should follow your advice and get a currently offered other printer model that will accept No 61 ink. Your point is, I should be loyal to the no 61ink, and change printers.

Could you help me again with a follow question:

I have no need for heavy output, or low cost per page, what I need is the best possible resolution from black cartridge only

( no rich black). With your recomended all purpose printer 1510, which will do scans and photo copies as well as prints, can I still get the very good resolution the Deskjet 1112 gives me at 1200 dpi?

Thank you!

scotflute

HP Recommended

Hi @scotflute,

I compared the Printing Specifications for the HP Deskjet 1112 with the Printing Specifications for the HP Deskjet 1510 and found that they are almost identical.

You mentioned that you were not needing "rich black". One nice feature of both printers is that they can both operate in single-cartridge mode. Which means that the printer will operate with just the black cartridge installed, allowing you to avoid printing with any colour ink completely.

Hopefully the information I have provided has been useful, or let me know if there is anything else.

Please feel free to reach out again.

Thanks.

rb011
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

rb011,

Again, thank you! You may have put your finger on the problem,  I will test tomorrow and post if it works.

Here is where you jolted my memory:

Indeed it is very important to us design transfer engravers that we must print from black cartidge only,  rick black is to be avoided. Indeed my older Deckjet 1000 J011, and my new one will both work with black cartridge only, I had forgotten that I removed the colur cartridge months ago on the older printer, but on the new one, I jumped right in and tested it forgetting the color cartridge was factry installed. I was immediately impressed to see a nice print resolution on my pictorico transparency, but now you have reminded me it would certainly be printing in rich black. For those who do not know, rich black has some color added in from the color cartridge, and I know this ofen stops the ink transfering onto the silver.

Will remove the the color cartridge tomorrow and test again, If the new printer does allow transfer, I definitely owe you a cup of coffee, rb, will be a grateful, happy camper, and I will  post here again my results.

best

Rod

HP Recommended

Success, rb011  !

Your interest in my admittedly specialized use of the Deskjet printer, pinpointed the problem,  reminding me to take out the color cartridge, to deny the rich black choice, leaving only pure black ink .  That was the key. With the color cartridge removed and stored, the newer HP Deskjet 1112 prints and transfers    my designs onto  any metal that I precoat with a dilute damar varnish.

Thank you so much for your insights, and your special knowledge of inks  ... indeed there is a very close match between No 61 black and No 63 black. Both work for me, No 61 on the older Deskjet, and No 63 on the newer 1112 model.

There are so many printer makes that do not work for us engravers over the years, and so many that will not work unless the color cartidge is installed. Whereas Windows computers appear to allow a 'black cartridge' only selection when printing, Mac OS do not. This Deskjet model allows operation on Black only, gives me the resolution I want, and at a really good price.

Many mempers of our engraving forums struggle to find the right printers to do design transfer, so today I will post on our forums to use HP Deskjet1112 with pictorico transparency film as a winning combination!

Thank you

Scotflute

HP Recommended

Hello again, rb011,

Referring to your successful advice, regarding printing on transparencies using the HP deskjet 1112 printer, for my specialized use of the printer applied to design transfer, may I report that I continue to have very good transfer from transparency film onto metals suck as silver and copper. Your reminded to remove the color cartridge was key, that stopped the printer using 'rich black', instead it now prints from the black cartridge only, and hence ink transfer to the metal is very good.

May I now ask if you could advise me on the very best settings to print at as high a resolution as the printer is capable of, using only the black cartridge.

First, I am printing onto this transparency sheet:

"Pictorico premium OHP Transparency Film"   from     www.pictorico.com

I often have to hand engrave small fonts, down to letters that are about 2 millimeters high, and it is a great help if I can print my transparencies with crisp black outline at maximum resolution.

Am I right that the Deskjet 1112 should resolve up to 1200 dpi in two dimensions, or might there be some dithering options I could choose to help?

There is a myriad of choices , when the printer settings can be selected. I print from Photoshop CS6, but let the printer determine settings. Quite frankly, although a scientist, these choices are beyond my understanding. Here is what I have chosen, seat of the pants:

HP Photo Papers

Maximum DPI

Normal printing

Rendering Intent  Relative Colorimetric

Color Matching    Vendor Matching

Results are pretty good, however I would be saddened if I had chosen wrongly, and even better resolution was just one or two clicks away.

Any advice?

Thank you!

Scotflute

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.