Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Officejet 8100
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I just got an officejet 8100 with a second tray and the driver recognizes that there is a Tray 2. I do have plain paper in the tray, but when I print to Tray 2, I get an "Out of Paper" message. There is nothing blocking the tray that I can see. I've reset the printer, checked for jams, etc., but I still keep getting the message.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hey there pcforms!

It looks as though the tray is not for the Officejet 8100 after all, which is most likely the cause of the issues. I checked out the HP Parts Surfer website to find the information you will need for the second tray that will be compatible with your printer. You can order the part at the website or contacting HP directly. I will leave HP's contact details below for you. If after you have the correct tray and are still experiencing any issues, let me know, and I will do my best to help.

PARTS SURFER: HP OFFICEJET PRO 8100 EPRINTER - N811A/N811D

Part number for the 2nd Bin (second tray): CQ696-60010

Click the "Accept as Solution" if the issue has reached a resolution! Hit the thumbs up below to like my post or show thanks to me for lending a hand! 🙂

HP Technical Support can be reached by clicking on the following link:

http://h22207.www2.hp.com/us-en/?openCLC=true

(1) Once the support page opens please select the country in which you're located. Next, enter your HP model number on the right.

(2) Next, choose the 'Contact Support' tab at the top and scroll down to the bottom of the 'HP Support- Contact' page to fill out the form provided with your contact information.

(3) Once completed click the 'Show Options' icon on the bottom right.

(4) Lastly, scroll down to the bottom of the page and select 'Get phone number.' A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

a i n b o w 7000

I work on behalf of HP

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" at the bottom of this post to say “Thanks” for helping!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Welcome to the HP Forums, I hope you're well @pcforms,

I saw your post about the out of paper error message you're seeing on your Officejet 8100, and I wanted to reply with some of my suggestions.

Try the steps in this guide: The Printer Does Not Pick Up or Feed Paper

Also try running the Print and Scan Dr. to find and fix printer issues.

If that does not help, try a complete uninstall, restart the computer, and reinstall the printer driver and software. Run the Printer Install Wizard to install.

If you have any troubles, let me know and I will do my best to help.

Send me a "thank you" for my reply to help you, or to show appreciation, click the thumbs up below please! If I have helped you to a solution, click the "Accept as Solution". 🙂

Have a great day:D

a i n b o w 7000

I work on behalf of HP

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" at the bottom of this post to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Hello. I tried all of the steps, but nothing works. I'm still getting the out of paper error. It sounds like it will make the attempt to print from Tray 2, but nothing happens. Also, the image attached shows the tray that was shipped to me. Is this the correct Tray 2 for the 8100?

hp-8100.jpg

HP Recommended

Hey there pcforms!

It looks as though the tray is not for the Officejet 8100 after all, which is most likely the cause of the issues. I checked out the HP Parts Surfer website to find the information you will need for the second tray that will be compatible with your printer. You can order the part at the website or contacting HP directly. I will leave HP's contact details below for you. If after you have the correct tray and are still experiencing any issues, let me know, and I will do my best to help.

PARTS SURFER: HP OFFICEJET PRO 8100 EPRINTER - N811A/N811D

Part number for the 2nd Bin (second tray): CQ696-60010

Click the "Accept as Solution" if the issue has reached a resolution! Hit the thumbs up below to like my post or show thanks to me for lending a hand! 🙂

HP Technical Support can be reached by clicking on the following link:

http://h22207.www2.hp.com/us-en/?openCLC=true

(1) Once the support page opens please select the country in which you're located. Next, enter your HP model number on the right.

(2) Next, choose the 'Contact Support' tab at the top and scroll down to the bottom of the 'HP Support- Contact' page to fill out the form provided with your contact information.

(3) Once completed click the 'Show Options' icon on the bottom right.

(4) Lastly, scroll down to the bottom of the page and select 'Get phone number.' A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

a i n b o w 7000

I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

went to preferences and noticed the tray 2 will not configure  to envelopes.  

I changed tray 2 to Letter and tray 1 to my envelope size.

I also updated the driver.  sorry i don't remember that process. maybe remove and let windows find the printer again.

the first time i printed i changed the tray order.

Well finally after one day of trying it works.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.