Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

It is the 3rd time to have problem on printing "black" even the ink is not empty (but the level is low, like a quarter left).  In the previous cases, I replaced the cartridge and the problem solved.  

The 2nd time was last week.  After I changed the cartridge, it worked (for only 1 week) and the problem is back.  Since the ink is full this time and it worked well when I just changed it, I suspect this is the problem of my printer instead of the cartridge.

I did clean printhead and align printhead but the problem persist.  Please advice the solution.  Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hopefully the printhead does not need replacing. I would look at this document on defective output for your printer model.  I know that some of the steps in here you have mentioned already performing. Please just read over/skip those and try the ones you have not yet performed.  It shows different ways to clean the printhead; if you just did the cleaning from the toolbox I would defiantly do the manual one. It also has a walk through to make sure that the products firmware is up to date.  Here is that link:  http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02455482

I hope this helps.

I am a former employee of HP...
How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved?

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

Hopefully the printhead does not need replacing. I would look at this document on defective output for your printer model.  I know that some of the steps in here you have mentioned already performing. Please just read over/skip those and try the ones you have not yet performed.  It shows different ways to clean the printhead; if you just did the cleaning from the toolbox I would defiantly do the manual one. It also has a walk through to make sure that the products firmware is up to date.  Here is that link:  http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02455482

I hope this helps.

HP Recommended
Amazing! The problem solved upon the firmware was updated! Nothing need to be done on the hardware. Thanks so much!!!!
HP Recommended

Refering to canned support does not solve this problem.  There is a work around in the forum, which I am looking for, since I am again having the problem!!  It requires complete shut down, pulling plug and holding two printer buttons down while re-starting, until printer ready is displayed.  Frustrated as H*** that I can't find the work around. 

HP Recommended

this is the 3nd ink change all color,  but the printer will not print th black ink

HP Recommended
my printer office jet 6500 will not print the black ink although I have replace all ink color 3 times
HP Recommended

@ g oroadrunner -I will need a little more info in order to help out.  Do you have the Officejet 6500 E710 printer as well? Are there any error messages on the device? Are you using genuine HP non-refilled ink in the printer? 

HP Recommended

Ok, so this is happeningto me again. Back in March was the first time I encountered this problem. Came here, read about the soaking and cleaning solution, tried it, it would not work. Finally had to buy a new printhead for 70 some odd dollars.

Now, a mere 7 months later, it is doing it again. Assuming I will need a new printhead AGAIN, does anyone have advice about how to be proactive and prevent this? do i just need to do the clean and saok every month or what?

Help!

HP Recommended

Hi there pattit,

If it is happening that often you may need to replace the printer and not the printhead, are you using HP Genuine cartridges or refills? It makes a difference, HP Genuine is the way to go.

Give these steps a try and see if they help.

Click the KUDOS star on the left to say “thanks” for helping!
Please mark a reply “Accept as Solution” if it solved your issue so others can find it.
I work on behalf of HP.

I worked on behalf of HP.
HP Recommended

Hi Chrizzy2013. Yes, I always used genuine HP cartridges, purchased directly from HP.

If I need a new printer, I doubt it will be a HP. I have been a loyal customer for many years, but this problem with my printer, and the fact my husband is also having trouble with his HP printer, is telling me something I think.

Thank you for your suggestions, all ofwhich I have tried previously.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.