Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
OfficeJet 4630
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

When I try to print on 65lb 8.5x11 cardstock paper, the printer will slightly feed it, act like it is printing on it, and then jam under the rollers. 

When I go under the Printing Preferences in the printing options (and/or under the Paper/Quality tab and select Media), there are only 7 options in regards to paper type:

-Plain Paper

-HP Photo Paper or other photo paper

-HP Matte Brochure or Professional Paper

-HP Glossy Brochure or Professional Paper

-HP Iron-on Transfers or other specialty paper

-HP Matte Presentations or other matte paper

-other glossy specialty paper

There is no option for a cardstock, and I have tried multiple choices with the same error occurring. I have also tried to change the paper settings on the 4630 via the small keypad on the front of the printer, but there is no option to change the type of paper that I found.

I read somewhere that the printer has been designed to print on 65lb paper and below. Is this true?

I also tried uninstalling the drivers, reinstalling the drivers, and installing the HP Smart software (which may be obsolete and has errors under certain categories). The options under the Printing Preferences have remained the same. There is no cardstock option. Please see pics 1 and 2.

I have tried following another post where the issue was addressed, but the example display to solve the issue does Not match what is available with the 4630 (See pic 3 of a side-by-side).

Any assistance to correct this issue would be most appreciated!

Picture1.pngPicture2.pngPicture3.png

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

That printer model doesn't support cardstock that is the reason you can't find it under paper type within the driver, and maximum plain paper that printer can handle is 24 lb.

65lb is way too thick paper for that printer to handle.

My profile on LinkedIn

HP Recommended

I was able to locate the paper handling specifications  for the 4630, and it shows that the input tray can handle 110lb max cards.

So, from the look from this table, it can handle quite a lot more than regular paper.

Paper type
Paper weight
Input tray (maximum capacity)
Output tray*
Plain paper (sheets)
64 to 90 g/m2 (16 to 20 lb)
Up to 50 (20 lb paper)
20 (20 lb paper)
Cards
200 g/m2 (110 lb index max)
Up to 20
Envelopes
75 to 90 g/m2 (20 to 24 lb)
Up to 5
13 x 18 cm (5 x 7 in) Photo paper
Up to 280 g/m2 (75 lb)
Up to 20
10 x 15 cm (4 x 6 in) Photo paper
Up to 280 g/m2 (75 lb)
Up to 20
216 x 279 mm (8.5 x 11 in) Photo paper
Up to 280 g/m2 (75 lb)
Up to 20
NOTE: 
Output tray capacity is affected by the type of paper and the amount of ink you are using. HP recommends emptying the output tray frequently.

HP Recommended

Also, in the actual HP manual for the 4630, on page 122:

Specifications:

Paper weights
Plain Paper: 64 to 90 g/m² (16 to 24 lb)
Envelopes: 75 to 90 g/m² (20 to 24 lb)
Cards: Up to 200 g/m² (110-lb index maximum)
Photo Paper: Up to 280 g/m² (75 lb)

HP Recommended

The specifications are correct, but cards and cardstock are not the same.

Cards are small greeting cards you can buy those from HP, but cardstock is different paper. The printer doesn't support cardstock, maximum recommended is 90 gsm for plain paper, cardstock is too heavy for this printer model. 

My profile on LinkedIn

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.