Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

Thanks, The_Fossette,

I installed and ran the HP Print and Scan Doctor.  It found no problems and found no updates.  Notice that I had already mentioned that the printer had indicated that its firmware was up to date.

I also have no problem printing from any of the computers here. 

The problem is only that the printer becomes disconnected from the WiFi network; once re-connected, printing and scanning work fine.

r.

HP Recommended

@RichG4

I see that this is an ongoing issue. That's unfortunate. If the printer and the PC are on the same network and yet you experience intermittent connectivity issues, assigning a Static IP address or assigning a TCP/IP port should help.

As we have already tried assigning a static IP that did not resolve this issue, let us try this step:

1) Print a Network Configuration Report from the Printer Settings or Wireless menu.

• On the printer control panel, swipe the display to the left, and then touch Setup.

• Touch Tools.

• Swipe up on the display, and then touch Network Configuration Report.

2) Right-click your printer, select Printer Properties, click the Ports tab and then click Add Port.
3) Select Standard TCP/IP Port, and then click New Port.
4) Follow the instructions to add a new port using the information listed on the Network Configuration Report.
5) Try printing.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Kumar0307,

I did as your instructed and a test page printed fine.

I think, though, that I need to be really clear.

There is no problem printing.  There is no problem with connection between the computers and the printer.

The problem is that, the printer from time to time loses WiFi connection.  Shutting the printer down and restarting reconnects.

If the printer is not connected to the WiFi network, of course we cannot print, but once connection is re-established everything works fine.

My question is a really simple one.  Why does the printer lose WiFi connection and how can I fix that?  Recall that in an earlier message I said that this is a new problem.  Previously the printer would stay connected for weeks or longer.  For example, in the last four days, the printer has lost WiFi connection nine times.  It seems to be more stable recently but still loses connection about once a day.

One guess is that the ISP is doing something to their router from time to time and although the computers can re-establish connection the printer cannot, but that is a supposition and I am no networking expert.

r.

HP Recommended

Hi all,

I'm not sure what the cause is, but our HP envy has maintained WiFi connection since 7:46 on December 14 - two days, 10 hours.  Thank you for your help and suggestions.  Two more days and I will declare it solved.

Let's cross our fingers.

r.

HP Recommended

@RichG4,

Thank you for keeping me posted.

I recommend you observe the printer and check whether the issue is resolved.

If any other questions arise please feel free to write back to me.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have been observing the connection status of the Envy 4520 for some time now.  Since December 14 at 7:46(am) the printer remained connected to WiFi for 3 days 9 hours.  Following power-up on December 17 at 21:03 the printer has remained connected.  I believe we can 'declare victory'.

Thanks to all for their assistance.

r.

HP Recommended

@RichG4,

Perfect, I am really glad to hear that!

If any other questions arise, please feel free to write back to me.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

We have been happy owners of a HP Envy 4525 for some time now. However in the last couple of months  we find that it has lost WiFi connection and connection must be re-established. We usually power the printer off and on again for a quick fix. After doing this we can print or scan a few pages but after a minute or two we lose connection again.

Today powering the printer off and on again could not fix the problem.

Unlike the original poster we print from mac OS 10.13.1 and I can't follow most of the instructions given. Please help.

HP Recommended

Sorry to hear that, Tojoyh,

I said that my problem was fixed, but it was not really, it just became less frequent.  Our 4520 still looses WiFi connection occasionally.  It seems to loose connection frequently for a while then mostly goes away as a problem for a while.  I began to wonder if it was my ISP fiddling with the router, but I have no evidence of that.  Hopefully your disconnection problem will quiet down, as mine did.

r.

HP Recommended

I did steps 1-3 here and they did not help.

Strangely I see only a “scanner” not a “printer” when I try to restore the printer to my network. But the connection to the scanner also fails.

I also tried steps 1-3 here
The print out says Internet : Not Connected

Also when I paste the IP address into my browser the page stalls out before loading.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.