Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
OfficeJet Pro 8715
macOS 10.15 Catalina

Recently, when trying to print from several Mac apps (Word, Excel, Numbers, perhaps more), the default paper size in the Print dialog box sets itself to Index Card Letter, and Two-Sided is turned off.  I have to manually change the paper size to Letter and then select two-sided.  Several steps in the Print dialog box - every time I want to print!  If I correct the settings and save the document, it resets to Index Card Letter the next time I try to print.

I have tried the following to no avail:  1)Uninstall the HP software and reinstall fresh downloads; 2) Download a firmware updater, which refused to install; 3) Be sure the paper tray was full; 4) Open and close the paper tray, and be sure that Paper Type is set to Plain Paper; 5) Review ALL the settings in the Print dialog box; 6) Use "Reset Printing System" in the Mac's System Preferences.  I have restarted both Mac and printer several times.  I have NEVER used index card stock; neither the small 3x5 or 4x6 sizes nor what I assume is multi-card letter size stock.  I always print on Letter size plain paper, and have never changed the paper size in any dialog box.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @DotD,

I'd like to help!

Try the below suggestions-

Try updating mac and printer firmware

To update the printer's firmware, refer - HP Printers - Updating or Upgrading Printer Firmware 

To update Mac, try these steps - How to update the software on your Mac

Add the AirPrint printer to the Mac printer queue

Confirm you are using AirPrint by adding the printer in System Preferences.

1. Click the Apple menu, click System Preferences, and then click Print & Scan or Printers & Scanners.

Figure : Example of the Printers & Scanners window

Example of the Printers & Scanners window
  2. Check if your printer name displays in the Printers list, and then do one of the following steps.

• If your printer is listed, remove and re-add the printer to confirm it is set up for AirPrint. Click the printer name, click the minus sign  to delete the printer, click the plus sign , click Add Printer or Scanner, click the printer name and then continue to the next step.

• If your printer is not listed, click the plus sign, click Add Printer or Scanner, click the name of your printer, and then continue to the next step.

• If your printer is not listed in the Add Printer or Scanner window, go to the Frequently asked questions in this document to resolve connection issues, try to add the printer again, and then continue to the next step.

3. Confirm AirPrint or Secure AirPrint displays in the Use or Print Using menu, and then click Add.

Figure : AirPrint displays in the Use menu

Select AirPrint from the Use menu
  4. Open a document or photo, click File, and then click Print

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

And, Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @DotD,

I'd like to help!

Try the below suggestions-

Try updating mac and printer firmware

To update the printer's firmware, refer - HP Printers - Updating or Upgrading Printer Firmware 

To update Mac, try these steps - How to update the software on your Mac

Add the AirPrint printer to the Mac printer queue

Confirm you are using AirPrint by adding the printer in System Preferences.

1. Click the Apple menu, click System Preferences, and then click Print & Scan or Printers & Scanners.

Figure : Example of the Printers & Scanners window

Example of the Printers & Scanners window
  2. Check if your printer name displays in the Printers list, and then do one of the following steps.

• If your printer is listed, remove and re-add the printer to confirm it is set up for AirPrint. Click the printer name, click the minus sign  to delete the printer, click the plus sign , click Add Printer or Scanner, click the printer name and then continue to the next step.

• If your printer is not listed, click the plus sign, click Add Printer or Scanner, click the name of your printer, and then continue to the next step.

• If your printer is not listed in the Add Printer or Scanner window, go to the Frequently asked questions in this document to resolve connection issues, try to add the printer again, and then continue to the next step.

3. Confirm AirPrint or Secure AirPrint displays in the Use or Print Using menu, and then click Add.

Figure : AirPrint displays in the Use menu

Select AirPrint from the Use menu
  4. Open a document or photo, click File, and then click Print

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

And, Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping

HP Recommended

Thanks, Jay.

As I said in my original post, I had already downloaded the recommended firmware updater for my printer, and it refused to install.  The firmware package I downloaded was:  OJP8710_2024A.dmg.  (As I recall, the printer updates itself, usually rebooting in the middle of the night when it does!)

My MacOS software version is currently Catalina 10.15.7, and I am NOT going to update to Big Sur until it's been out there quite a bit longer.

However, re-adding the printer, and selecting "Use:  Secure AirPrint" rather than "Use:  HP Officejet Pro 8710 All-In-One" appears to have solved the problem.  But there are fewer options available.

HP Recommended

I am glad the issue is resolved.

I understand, cause these are AirPrint printer drivers they could be a limitation.

You could install HP Easy start and install it on your computer 

Keep me posted!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.