Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 5540 all in one
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

Photo Tray Problem

The photo tray is blocked. Please adjust tray and try again. -- Error message

I have tried to adjust the tray. The bottom tray doesn't come out straight.

I have removed the output tray.  - Nothing. 

I have tried booting the printer down. -  No luck

It sounds like it can't grab the paper to print.  Then the message shows up.

I don't even print photos. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@bowman1024

Welcome to the HP Forums 🙂 

I would like to take a moment and thank you for using this forum, it is a great place to find answers. 

As I understand there's an issue with the photo tray,

No worries, as I'll be glad to help you, that said, I'll need a few more details to dissect your concern & provide an accurate solution: 

Did you check the tray and ensure it's seated properly?

While you respond to that, here's what you need to do:

Step 1: Make sure the photo tray is seated correctly

This error can occur if the printer trays are installed incorrectly. Make sure the printer is located on a flat surface, then make sure the photo tray moves smoothly within the paper tray guides.

1. Make sure the printer is positioned on a flat surface.

2. Push in the output tray extender.

3. Pull out the input tray, but do not remove it.

Figure : Pull out the input tray

Image: Pull out input tray
  4. Remove the output tray.

Figure : Remove the output tray

Image: Remove the output tray

CLICK HERE FOR MORE STEPS AND INSTRUCTIONS.

(By the end of this article all the issues should be resolved)

Keep me posted,

If I have helped you resolve the issue, feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, 

Followed by clicking on "Accept as solution" button,

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@bowman1024

Welcome to the HP Forums 🙂 

I would like to take a moment and thank you for using this forum, it is a great place to find answers. 

As I understand there's an issue with the photo tray,

No worries, as I'll be glad to help you, that said, I'll need a few more details to dissect your concern & provide an accurate solution: 

Did you check the tray and ensure it's seated properly?

While you respond to that, here's what you need to do:

Step 1: Make sure the photo tray is seated correctly

This error can occur if the printer trays are installed incorrectly. Make sure the printer is located on a flat surface, then make sure the photo tray moves smoothly within the paper tray guides.

1. Make sure the printer is positioned on a flat surface.

2. Push in the output tray extender.

3. Pull out the input tray, but do not remove it.

Figure : Pull out the input tray

Image: Pull out input tray
  4. Remove the output tray.

Figure : Remove the output tray

Image: Remove the output tray

CLICK HERE FOR MORE STEPS AND INSTRUCTIONS.

(By the end of this article all the issues should be resolved)

Keep me posted,

If I have helped you resolve the issue, feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, 

Followed by clicking on "Accept as solution" button,

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi. I did do this.

I did chat with Nat today at HP. We could not figure out what's wrong with it. So, HP is sending me another printer. 

Thank you for your help. 

HP Recommended

@bowman1024

Thank you for the update,

I appreciate your time and efforts, 

I'm glad you found the solution for this concern. 

You've been great to work with and it has been a genuine pleasure interacting with you.

I hope both you and your product works great and remain healthy for a long time 😉 

To simply say thanks for my efforts to assist you, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos.

Take care now and do have a fabulous week ahead. 🙂

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

i have tried everything , but still come up photo tray blocked. it won't let me copy or scan.

HP Recommended

my print preference is to use the main tray but no matter what I try to print I get an error that says the photo tray is empty. I have reinstalled the printer at least twice and tried rebooting my computer and the printer as many times. I hope you can help. It just started doing this suddenly one morning when I turned my computer on.

HP Recommended

I tried this and it is not working, are there any other solutions? I just purchased the ink today and replaced it and now this message comes up. I might cry

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.