Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

I have had the same cycle of problems beginning with ominous Ink System Failure message. Now after trying to reset, I've gotten the OOB NVM Reset message.

From these posts and from my one call to tech support, it sounds like I have to buy a new printer. This printer is 4-5 years old, but only used a few times a year. Very light use. Very good care taken.

I hope HP at least reads some of these to know it has lost many of us as customers.

I will not be repurchasing an HP product.

HP Recommended

I too have problems with my HP Photosmart printer C5180.  It does exaclty what everyone else is saying.  I work in retail and it is about making the customers happy, so I can't beleive all they will do for me is give me a discount on a newer model.  My parents spent a lot of money on this printer for me for Christmas and I have barely used it in the 3-4 years that I have had it.  Obviously this printer needs to be recalled just like cribs, Toyota vehicles and toys with lead in them.  There is something in the printer that is not functioning correclty.  I am a very unhappy customer. 

HP Recommended

When the loop started, I pressed OK and shut off the machine.  Instead of unplugging everything, I just pressed #6 and turned it back on.  I did this twice, and it it went into 3 printer set-up cycles and it is now working.  If HP reads this they should know there is a problem considering # views.

HP Recommended

I have the exact same problems described above: first occasional warnings about shutting the printer down properly, then the error-messages about ink-system failures (after which the printer proceeded to print just fine, by the way...), and now, since a few weeks, the constant boot-loops. It managed to boot up properly for a few more times, but it has been looping for weeks now. I have had it completely unplugged for up to a week, I have found and replaced the Li-battery in the side-panel, I had already replaced all the cartridges recently (also a nice waste of money!), and now I'm really losing my patience with this printer. It's not even 2 years old!

I'm very disappointed, especially about the lack of acknowledgement or support from HP. I don't want a $40,- rebate on a new printer, I paid more than enough for this printer to last me, a humble home-user, at least 5 years, never mind the warranty. I don't think I printed more than 3000 pages and maybe 300 photo's.

HP Recommended

My C5180 is about 2-3yrs old with very limited use. Mine started with some Ink System failure notices a few months back. Of course, like an idiot I spent all this money replacing the cartridges that I knew weren't empty. The problem persisted and I usually just turned it off and then back on for that print. Tonight it decided to go into that endless loop of powering up and then down as you all have described. I tried the OK-Help Reset to no avail. From all of the posts, it appears as though this printer is TOAST.

If you are reading this, HP Support.... 

I hate you.

HP Recommended

To fix the loop problem on the c5180 I replaced a 330uf 10v cap on the control board and that brought it back to life.  Good luck with yours.

HP Recommended

That sounds very promising! Could you be a little more specific on the details of the offending cap, how to locate it, and the specs of your replacement cap?

HP Recommended

I cannot believe HP does not/cannot fix this????  Where is the effort to help? 

I bought my HP5180 three years and 2 months ago; my warranty I purhased at Best Buy ended 2 months ago :HalfEyes:

I will never buy an HP again.....not a printer....not a computer....etc....

HP Recommended

comrep, you made my day!

As mentioned in a more recent thread, a bulging 330 uF 10V capacitor turned out to be the culprit! It is green, there are two of them, close to the middle of the system board, and they are surprisingly easy to reach, and replace, once you manage to identify them.

I only replaced the bulging one with a 330 uF 16V capacitor, and Presto! The printer started up like a charm, ran and finished the full OOB-NVM routine, and now only turns on and off when I want it to! No complaints about improper shutdowns or ink-system-failures anymore, and I'm happy as clam!

I'm not sure why this specific cap would be the one that fails, but it seems to be a structural problem with the design/layout of the systemboard. I suspect the slightly higher listed voltage of the replacement capacitor, even though it's the exact same size, may prevent a future failure, but I'm just guessing here...

Anyway, if anyone gets the same result I got, let us know, and spare comrep another "Kudos"; he's already got mine! :OpenSmile:

HP Recommended

Add me to the growing list of C5180 owners with this problem.  HP  should accept some responsibility for

their design flaw, but apparently they will not.  Add me to the HP boycott !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There is a lot of technology in this printer and it is a shame that HP products seem to be being

manufactured with "designed obsolescence" in mind !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.