Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
PhotoSmart 5520
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I hope that I am in the forum, if I'm not I'm really sorry.

My question today is that I have a picture of my mum and dad, and I'm trying to print a picture of them to put in a key ring, I've printed off a wallet sized one, but it's a bit too big, is it possible for me to print this size using the printer that I have?

I hope that some one can help me, thank you in advance

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@j62

The following might work.

Open your photo (filename.jpg) in Paint (mspaint)

Print the photo at X% of the size it requires to fit within the tiny keyring.

Example assumes you are using 4x6 inch photo paper.

Example:

Angel_Wings_2_DragonFurAngel_Wings_2_DragonFur

• Open File Explorer > navigate to the folder in which the photo / image is stored
  • Right-Click on Photo file > Properties > Details > Note pixels counts (width and height)

Pixels Width = 377

Pixels Height = 399

Aspect Ratio Calculator  - Browse, click on photo to check, enter desired width (for 4x6 paper), check results

W2 = 4 inches (Desired print Width to fit / fill the 4x6 inch paper size used to make the print)

H2 = 4.73 (Calculated print height)

Angel_Wings_Aspect_Ratio_1Angel_Wings_Aspect_Ratio_1

Our example photo is suitable for our paper size 4X6 (with extra white space on the “long” side)

Set Minimum margins = 1.66 each side (printer / model dependent)  (Hint: enter .1 and let margins calculate)

Orientation: Portrait

3-way Percent Calculator

Math.com 3-way Percent Calculator

Desired print height of our little photo = 1.5 inches

1.5 (desired photo size in inches) is what percent of 4.7 inches (calculated size to fit/fill our paper)?

Answer = 31.91%

Open photo in Paint

Set to print on 4x6 inch paper at 32% of 100 % (full size)

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Click Thumbs Up on a post to say Thank You!

Answered? Click post "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

The answer sounds very complicated, but I will try to do what you  have said, thank you for your help, and your reply

HP Recommended

@j62

Yes, the process is likely more complicated than you need - I realize that you are not asking to print the tiny photo at a particular size.

Open the photo file in Paint and print it at any percentage of 100% that you think will fit.

Test the result.  If necessary, try again using a different percentage.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

I did attempt to do what you said, but it's too complicated for me, so I am going to do a Google search to see if I can find a way to do this, thank you for your help, I hope that you don't feel like I have wasted your time

HP Recommended

@j62

No worries.

The first time I did this was the result of someone asking a similar question.

By now, there are likely software / programs to do what you want without having to do the calculations.

Happy Printing.

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.