Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Envy 7800
macOS 10.14 Mojave

Black and white photos printed from the Mac have a blue hue. I’ve tried the following paper: HP semigloss photo, Kodak gloss photo, HP matte presentation, regular white paper. All have the blue hue. Printing the photo from an iPad also resulted in the blue hue if the paper is set to Photo. When the paper was set to Paper, the print came out true black. Scanning of a black and white photo does not produce the blue hue, and is true black, whether photo paper or regular paper is used. It seems then that the ink is ok, and the printer is capable of printing black. If Photo is selected from the printer paper setting, or is selected from computer software, it doesn’t come out right. Can anyone recommend a fix?

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi @arweber

Welcome to the HP Support Community. I'd be happy to assist you with the printing issue. 

To better assist you - 

1) What's the application that you are printing from? 

2) Are you trying to print using AirPrint or HP Smart app? If you are trying to print from AirPrint, try printing using HP Smart app and vice-versa. 

While you respond to that, try these steps to update your Mac and iPad - 

To update the software on your Mac, refer to this document for steps and for your iPad, please refer to these instructions

I'd also suggest updating the printer's firmware. You may download and install the firmware for macOS 10.14 from this link. You may also refer to this document for more information about updating the printer's firmware.  

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

The printer firmware and apps are current. The Mac was upgraded to Catalina. The problem persists. To simplify, here is what is happening; When printing from Preview and the paper type is specified as Photo OR if Photo is selected from the printer keypad, the pic will come out blue. Only if Preview Print AND the printer paper specified from the keypad are set to plain paper will the pic come out black.  The problem is limited to the selection of Photo paper from any software, app, or device.

HP Recommended

Hi @arweber

Thanks for replying. 

I'd suggest you try setting the print quality to Best Mode and check.

If the issue still persists, try cleaning the ink cartridges. Refer to step# 10 to 13 from this document for step by step instructions. 

Keep me posted. 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Those suggestions didn’t work. I printed many photos, changing one variable at a time. The condition that causes blue is selecting Photo Paper from the Mac, or selecting Photo Paper on the printer keypad and printing from the iPad using AirPrint. I’ve done all maintenance possible, put in new cartridges, changed paper types used, changed print quality settings, updated software, etc.

HP Recommended

@arweber

I'd suggest you Contact HP in your region regarding this issue. 

Have a great day! 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.