Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Envy Photo 7800

Why can’t I copy and print onto purchased fabric sheets for inkjet printers?  My printer will not accept the paper, says to insert HP photo paper.  I tried both the 8 1/2 x 11 sheet and I cut it down to 5x7, the same size as the HP photo paper I have.  I specifically purchased a photo copier Envy Photo 7800 for better quality fabric printing.  What is wrong?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@EP57 

====================================================================

Welcome to the HP Community.

Be Aware:

Do not respond to individuals who post phone numbers or email addresses.

Do not respond to individuals who ask you to provide private information in a public Post.

These people might be scammers trying to steal your information / money.

====================================================================

Answer:

The main issue is likely that the printer does not support printing on fabric sheets.

For Example,

Unsupported paper types / weights can refuse to print, jam, slip, balk, partially print.

Sample Specifications

Product Specifications for the HP Envy Photo 7822 All-in-One Printer (Y0G43D)

Product Specifications for the HP ENVY Photo 7830 All-in-One Printer (Y0G50B)

Media types
Plain Paper; HP Photo Papers; HP Matte Brochure or Professional Paper; HP Matte Presentation Paper; HP Glossy Brochure or Professional Paper; Other Photo Inkjet Papers; Other Matte Inkjet Papers; Other Glossy Inkjet Papers, Plain Paper, Light/Recycled

Secondary (not related to the not-supported fabric paper type)

Only small photo paper can be loaded into the photo tray in this printer (4x6).

Larger photo paper and other media must be loaded into main tray.

Next,

Assuming you can get the fabric-paper to print at all,

Load the paper into the  main tray

Set the Source (Tray) to main tray

Set the source to accommodate the paper weight.

For example, if the weight of the fabric paper is at or lower than 180 gsm, select Brochure matte

Reminder: 

Paper weights cannot be exceeded in type. 

For example

The printer can detect photo  paper and supports photo paper at a heavier weight than other media (types of paper).  You cannot select "photo" paper and then load a different paper into the printer - most printers cannot be fooled.

Paper of a type that is not supported might work - might not - or might work once.

Example - Supported paper types and weights for this series:

Media TypesPlain Paper; HP Photo Papers; HP Matte Brochure or Professional Paper; HP Matte Presentation Paper; HP Glossy Brochure or Professional Paper; Other Photo Inkjet Papers; Other Matte Inkjet Papers; Other Glossy Inkjet Papers, Plain Paper, Light/Recycled
Media Weight Recommended (imperial)18 to 22 lb
Media Weight Recommended (metric)70 to 90 g/m²
Media Weights Supported, By Paper Path (Imperial)16 to 80 lb
Media Weights Supported, By Paper Path (metric)Tray 1: A4: 75 to 90 g/m²; HP envelopes: 75 to 90 g/m²; HP Photo Paper: up to 300 g/m²; HP 10 x 15 cm photo paper: up to 300 g/m²

Not included in the list, perhaps supported:  Index Card Paper

If Card paper / stock is used, it must not exceed 200gsm (110 lb).

Reference: 

HP Brochure / Professional paper is typically 180 gsm.

HP Presentation paper is 120 gsm.

Where to find help, information, software, updates, documentation...

Printer  Home Page - References and Resources – Learn about your Printer  - Solve Problems

“Things that are your printer”

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  Alerts, Access to the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows), Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, User Guides / Manuals, Product Information (Specifications), more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

HP ENVY Photo 7800 All-in-One Printer series 

Thank you for participating in the HP Community.

The Community is a separate wing of the HP website - We are not an HP business group.

Our Community is comprised of volunteers - people who own and use HP devices.

Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You.

Question Resolved / Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Ok, it appears I have the wrong printer for what I want to do.  What printer is best for printing on fabric sheets, and that is instant ink eligible?

HP Recommended

@EP57 

@EP57 wrote:

Ok, it appears I have the wrong printer for what I want to do.  What printer is best for printing on fabric sheets, and that is instant ink eligible?

I have no experience in the subject of printing fabric sheets.

Try chatting or calling the HP Store - if such a thing exists, the representatives might be able to help.

New Product? Need Help? HP Online Store – USA – Customer Service

Not your HP store?  Scroll to the bottom of the website and click the Flag to change regions.

Customer Service - Examples

For example:  Self-Help Service, Account, Security and Privacy, Tracking, Change Order, Returns and Cancellations, FAQ, Shopping, Shipping and delivery, Rebates / Coupons, Product Support, Parts and services

OR

Select a subject type

OR

Select a subject type

What else?

Like other crafts, printing on fabric must be a "thing" - search for what others are using for this kind of printing.

Thank you for participating in the HP Community.

The Community is a separate wing of the HP website - We are not an HP business group.

Our Community is comprised of volunteers - people who own and use HP devices.

Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You.

Question Resolved / Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.