Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet 6500 All-in-One Printer series - E709
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Printer feeding error - error code 0x61011bef [ New ] 

Product Name: HP Officejet 6500 All-in-One Printer series - E709
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
Printer feeder & error code issues

HP Officejet 6500 E709a
serial# ______________
error codes: 0x61011bef

Synopsis

So Eric, my bestmate that owns 5 properties, manages buildings, has had this printer for a minimum of 2-6 yrs in his office. we are starting to experience problems with the printer now. I tried installing it online, installing the drivers to his laptop (which wouldn't finish all the way), and I registered it all online. However it still won't connect to the wifi network, and has given us many other issues, here is the list of summaries of the issues:

1. Even after installing the drivers and operation software multiple times, this printer will not finish the setup. even though it has many networks to connect to, and they all work very high speed and have good connectivity, and I'm installing it on the same network as the laptop, I can't find the network settings to connect it to our network on the control panel on the printer. When I install the drivers and operational software, right before the software completes the installation process it gives me this big error message with a red sign with a big white X through it, says it's basically aborting the installation process. I don't know how much of the installation process completed, and what hasn't completed. -- my suspicion is that the network setup process has aborted and hasn't completed itself.

2. The next issue that we were having was that Eric would go to print documents (I've experienced this multiple times through 10-15 tests, it's the same activity every single time) and when he prints the documents the printer will say "paper out / paper jam" . we press cancel to cancel the job, then press OK. then it waits for paper. we shove the paper in all the way, the printer takes the paper, then keeps feeding the paper and feeding it feeding it not printing anything. then it feeds all the paper through till all the paper has been fed through. then it stops, beeps, and shows an amber exclamation light with an error message that gives this error: General Printer Error 0x61011bef . I will discuss this further throughout the rest of the report.

3. Whenever I try to connect the printer to the network it won't connect to the network. it's a wifi printer, but I can't get it connected to the wifi network through the onboard panel interface. I can't even connect it to the network using the wizard in the installation software for the drivers and software applications for laptops. we have windows 10 (64 bit).

4. Even when I've put paper inside to make copies it is causing the same problems. I think that there is something wrong with the gears inside, the rollers, or some mechanism that won't pull the paper through properly, and it's having a hard time grabbing the sheets from the paper stack in the lower feed tray. For some reason it can't grasp the papers, and when we shove them all the way in it just keeps grabbing them and grabbing them and feeding them all through till they've all been fed through, and never printing anything, then ending in that error "Paper out / Paper Jam: General Printer Error 0x61011bef". We really need help with this issue. I want to fix/refurbish this printer until it's almost like brand new. I would rather maintenance and fix a printer than having to replace the whole **bleep** thing. Below I have listed the details of my analysis after tests and diagnostics. I have also included screen-shots of the error messages I have received chronologically. as well as the printouts I've managed to get about it's settings and configurations.

Diagnostics Analysis & Report

HP Officejet 6500 E709a
serial# ______________
error codes: 0x61011bef

The printer won't take paper. I shove it all inside, it stops. keeps trying to feed paper but won't take it. When I push 1/2" stack of paper all the way up the ramp it takes a sheet then jams. sometimes a sheet will get half stuck.

It gives me an error message: 0x61011bef - general printer error. I tap "OK", it pulls the sheet through, then 7+ sheets, sometimes all the sheets till the paper tray is completely empty, and it doesn't print anything. The scanned sheet stays halfway through the scanner feed tray during this whole time (this is during a test when I put a document in the upper scanner feed tray to scan & print that document. so the document fed halfway through the scanner tray, then got stuck and stopped moving by the time the printer started printing).

then I get: General Printer Error - 0x61011bef ... refer to printer documentation - Press "OK".

· green power button keeps flashing as you can hear the printer rollers trying to grab paper but doesn't pull anything through. If I shove paper all the way inside it, it will start pulling it all through over & over again until all the paper runs through. Then it gives me an amber exclamation mark alert on the control panel. the display says: "out of paper: load paper then press 'OK' " when installing the software the last screen aborts right at the end & says: "printer setup has failed to complete". the HP printer wouldn't show up anytime I tried looking for it on wifi.

· out of nowhere the fax setup popped up & I configured the fax machine & clicked finish on the setup. the fax machine needs to be connected to an RJ45 telephone line wall jack with service.

· Then it asked to register my product for the 3rd time!! I've already registered it. I had to cancel out of that screen. and the wifi installation has never completed even all the times that I did register my product.

Then after that these issues occurred:

· I printed a sample page. nothing came through. Instead paper kept feeding & feeding & feeding through the printer. then the printer sucked paper back into it that it pushed out and it sounded like it was printing. it printed a screwed up page with a printer test report on it. I printed this test from the software application that I installed for the printer. the paper was crushed at the top of the page like an accordion this happened when the feeder rollers sucked it back into the printer and started force printing.

· it did print a test page but the gears/rollers did not push the paper through properly.

Conclusion & Analysis

No matter all the things that I've tried there is nothing that will fix this thing. I think that there is something wrong with the feeders inside. Maybe there are some gears that are worn away and need to be replaced. Maybe there is something slipping inside on the rotating bars, gear belts, something not aligned in the printer area properly, etc. I think this is more of a hardware issue than anything.

When it comes down to the wifi... there has got to be something wrong with the firmware (not compatible with windows 10??? I think that is the highest likelihood ) if that is the case, there has to be older drivers that can run it even though we are operating Windows 10.

How can I print on this printer using WiFi from my google driver or gmail account? Even if we can't use our operating systems, we should be able to use older operating systems, devices, and atleast be able to print from the internet right!?

I have created summaries about this issue to post into forums, and have also created a .PDF with all this information in it, and have 3 images that I can provide as attachments of reports and documentation. and also have screenshot images of various errors that I have covered in the analysis of this report. I can attach those too.

Please contact me if you have any information on how to correct all these errors, or how to fix the hardware. I'm really in need of this information. thank you!:

* * * email me and I will send you screenshots of error messages, and the entire diagnostic report. I'll also send images of bad print jobs that came out and the configurations & test pages. * * *

- - - END OF REPORT - - -

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hello,

I am currently having the same exact problem and was wondering if someone ever sent you a solution?

Thanks 

HP Recommended

**** I fixed it  :generic:

@christianw4 wrote:

Hello,

I am currently having the same exact problem and was wondering if someone ever sent you a solution?

Thanks 

With the help of a YouTube video about clearing jams I realized that I had not completely (with a flashlight) looked at all areas of the printer for any foreign object.  I found that what I believe was my issue to be a build up of ink on the right side of the printer where the ink cartridges rest.  The steps I followed:

1. Open the lid that gives you access to the ink.

2. Unplug the USB cord

3. Unplug the power supply cord

4. Gently move the ink cartridge to the left of the slide bar

5. With a flash light look to the right side where the ink cartridge typically rests

6. Look for anything that is not a smooth surface or the little brush. If you have a ink ball build up...with a Qtip gently remove ball of ink or other foriegn object. 

7. close lid

8. plug the power source back in

9. plug the usb cord back in

I'm not claiming it is the issue for everyone, but I would not have thought to look for anything in that area where paper does not go had it not been for the very nice YouTube video.  Good luck

*********************** The issue I was having **********************

I am having the same printer feeding error.  Very frustrating.  It started out where I was getting a message that the printer was out of paper.  The fix to that was to hand feed it paper one at a time (super annoying and time consuming).  Then it would no longer take one sheet at a time, I had to hand feed it several pages at a time with about 1 out of 3 feeds not printing.  Then it went to 1 out of 3 printing and the other two bulk feeds producing nothing.

Then the message.  When I first began getting the error it would auto correct if I turned the printer off then unplugged it and turned it back on again.  Now, it seems to have figured out what I was doing and stopped working even with that fix.  Now after I select the OK after the message and the paper feeds I get the "Preparing Printer" circle message that never ends. 

It definitely has something to do with the grabbing of the paper and the gears and possibly a paper censor if there is one.  

The first message in this thread was posted over a year ago.  There does not seem to be any response.  Does that mean that HP  does not respond to these messages? 

Thanks 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.