Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Officejet Pro 8100
macOS 10.14 Mojave

My black ink was running low so I went and bought a new 950 XL cartridge to replace the old one. I was getting errors that the cartridge was failing and the ink level looked to be around 25% (for a brand new HP cartridge). I exchanged it for a new one and am having the exact same issue.

Here is what I can tell you about the error:

- printer is in error state

- When I look at ink supply levels, it's showing the black cartridge to be about 25% full. It did this in both brand new cartridges I purchased right out of the box.

- On my printer's little display screen, the black ink (K) is blinking and showing about 25% full. The other colors show their levels too but are not blinking.

- HP Utility app says Device Status: Supply System Problem; Supplies: Cartridge has failed - black ink. The black ink has a red circle with a line through to show how much ink is left in the cartridge.

- Printhead health is green - good

- Any time I try to print a test page, align print heads, or clean print heads, Demo Page, or Print diagnostic information, it will not print because the printer is in error state.

- yes there is plain white paper loaded

- all the errors above are the same whether on wireless or wired via USB

Here is what I have tried:

- making sure the firmware is up-to-date

- resetting the printer by unplugging it and waiting at least 60 seconds before plugging back in (several times)

- reinstalling drivers

- pushing in and out the Ink cartridge into the printhead

- wiping off the sensor thing on the actual cartridge

- Uninstalling and reinstalling the printer from my computer.

Screen Shot 2020-09-01 at 10.42.24 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-09-01 at 10.43.04 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-09-01 at 10.45.27 PM.png

Please help! Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@A-T-, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I appreciate your efforts in trying to resolve this issue by performing the necessary troubleshooting steps.

Since you have used 2 new black ink cartridges and getting the same error, I'm afraid this is a hardware failure with the printer.

Kindly perform the steps mentioned in this document - HP Printer Does not Print and Error Indicates Faulty Ink Cartridge

If the error persists, try step 1 from this document - 'Printer Failure' Error

If this does not help, please reach out to the HP Support in your region regarding the service options for your printer. 

If the printer is out of warranty, I suggest you upgrade the printer. You may visit Hp Store to check the available printers.

Keep me posted for any other assistance.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@A-T-, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I appreciate your efforts in trying to resolve this issue by performing the necessary troubleshooting steps.

Since you have used 2 new black ink cartridges and getting the same error, I'm afraid this is a hardware failure with the printer.

Kindly perform the steps mentioned in this document - HP Printer Does not Print and Error Indicates Faulty Ink Cartridge

If the error persists, try step 1 from this document - 'Printer Failure' Error

If this does not help, please reach out to the HP Support in your region regarding the service options for your printer. 

If the printer is out of warranty, I suggest you upgrade the printer. You may visit Hp Store to check the available printers.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Kumar0307,

Thanks for your help. I should have mentioned in my original post that I did try the process outlined in the first link you sent me. I also went through the second link and nothing seems to be obstructing the Carriage. 

Sometimes I after opening and closing the printer access door, I am hearing a repeated growl noise (1/2 second growl, 1/2 second silence repeated) and then the spinner that moves the paper will also actuate, but nothing ever happens. 

It's sounding like I am going to have to replace the printer. Since it's 7 years old, it's probably time to upgrade anyway.

Thank you for trying to help me.

HP Recommended

@A-T-

Thank you for the response. As you have already tried the steps, I'm afraid this is a hardware failure. As the printer is out of warranty, you may have to purchase a new printer.

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.