Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Smart Tank Plus 570
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My new Smart Tank plus 570 worked very well to begin with but now when I try to print in Bold the characters are very smeary, as though they are not getting enough ink.  When I try to print normal print several lines on the page are printed with the top half of the character missing.  This only occurs with black ink, colour ink is OK. In desperation I am using dark grey as a substitute for black. My black ink tank looks 3 quarters full and yet when I press the ink button on the display it shows Full tank. I tried to put more black HP ink in but it will not go in ?  I have tried using the alignment tools several times and the other tools but nothing works. Can anyone help ?

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@gm3suz, Welcome to the HP Support Community! I’m here to help.

I understand the print quality with black is not satisfactory. Kindly perform the steps mentioned in this document - Color or Black Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues

Clean the printhead up to 2 times and print a test page to check the result.

Try making a standalone copy from the flatbed glass and check if that prints fine. By this, we can conclude if this is a hardware or a driver issue.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click on the YES button to reply that the response was helpful and/or to say “Thank You”.

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I tried all of your suggestions Kumar but to no avail, when I tried scanning and printing the results, the characters were OK, that was your last comment, maybe now I will find out what is wrong.

Here is my problem, again.    My printer has a problem printing in black, when I try printing bold characters the results are smeary as though they are not getting enough ink.  When I print a page of normal characters there are 2 or 3 lines at 2 or 3 places on the page  where only the bottom half of the character is printed. I have used about a quarter of the ink in the black tank and a bit less in the coloured tanks but when I press the ink button it shows every tank is full. When I try to add black ink nothing happens, the ink levels stay the same.  I have been through your help procedure several times including using the  alignment and print head cleaning tools but . Your automated help line is just a waste of time as I have tried it several times but it was no help. My nearest service centre is in Derby about 500 kms from me.

HP Recommended

@gm3suz1

If the issue persists, I'm afraid this could be a hardware issue. Please reach out to the HP Technical Support team in your region regarding the replacement options. 

You may create a case on the website to obtain a case number if required. Kindly watch this video to know how.

Keep me posted for any other assistance.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Dear Kumar, I thought that the problem may have been a faulty print head and so I ordered a new printhead for this printer BUT unfortunately when I tried to replace it I could not. I get a message saying that I can only replace the print head when the printer reports it as being faulty. The print heads are tucked out of the way and I cannot access them unless there is a fault. I use an HP desktop PC and an HP laptop but this is the first HP printer I have bought and I feel let down. It is so difficult to get help, to actually talk to someone. Can you please suggest a solution before I junk this printer, Thanks, Dan McLean

HP Recommended

@gm3suz1

I have already mentioned the way to contact the HP Support team in my previous post. 

To know how to replace the printhead, refer to - Replacing Printheads

If the print carriage is stuck, perform the steps mentioned in this document - Carriage jam or E3 error

Let me know how it goes.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.