Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Officejet Pro 6230
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Fairly new printer, three months, starting displaying Printhead Problem message yesterday. I tried removing and reinserting cartridges that all are half or better full. Unplugged unit waited 30 seconds or more and the plugged back in. Tried running printhead cleaning but I get the same message and it doesn't clean, can't do any of the utility functions, print align, cleaning etc. Any one got any suggestions? Sorry but the HP support sight really is a bummer, couldn't get any information on the problem directly from the support sight.

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

Hello,

Please click HERE to access the steps that should resolve the issue .

If issue still persists, its time to call HP Tech support to get the printer Serviced.

Please call HP Tech Support for further assistance.

If you are in US , the toll free # is 1-800-474-6836 .

If you are not in US , then log on to www.hp.com , at bottom-left corner there is a world map icon, click on it and then select the region you belong to, which would then provide support options for you for that region.

Regards,
Jabzi

Give Kudos to say "thanks" by clicking on the "thumps Up icon" .

Click "Accept as Solution" if it solved your problem, so others can find it.
Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
HP Recommended

Hi @LKW44

Just checking if you got a replacement printer from HP Support?

Thanks

Ciara

I am speaking for myself and not for HP. Twitter: @Ciara_B_27
HP Recommended

We continued to experience print head failures. Out of ten of these printers purchased in December 2014 we have had two replaced under warranty, two others failed outside of warranty period and have been discarded. Very disappointed in this printer and would not recommend it to anyone. These are not heavily used in a commercial setting but personal desktop printers. Support recommended that we use all purpose or officejet type of paper with less moisture content in place of general lazer paper. We did make this adjustment and have had one additional failure since. This requirement was not noted in the operating instructions.

HP Recommended

@LKW44

Sorry to hear about this. Have you tried the online form to get a printer replacement?

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Inkjet-Printing/Problem-with-Printhead-on-Officejet-Pro-printer/td-p/55...

Thanks

Ciara

I am speaking for myself and not for HP. Twitter: @Ciara_B_27
HP Recommended

I have only recently had the issue of printer head mesaage popping up. Initially it was happening when I was low on ink. It stopped when I replaced the ink cartridges (with genuine HP ink).

Now it is happening again and I have barely printed using the new cartridges so I know it is not a low ink issue.

I have had this printer for over a year.

HP Recommended

Sadly printer 6230 has notorius print head problems. HP has replaced 6 out of 10 units I purchased. If you have tried resetting and new ink then the last option is a printer replacement. Contact HP and explain the situation they may still replace it out of warranty. The last three I had replaced were out of 1 year warranty period but HP was good enough to replace them with a new/reconditioned unit with 90 day warranty. These have held up so far for a few months.

HP Recommended

Yes, I learned that many people had complaints on this model as well as others in the "6000 series" that also use the same print head. What was surprising is that they kept making these models with the same parts even knowing that many of the consumers would have a problem.

It seems to me that with a problem that wide spread it should be dealt with as a recall rather that a warranty issue.

I tried putting the info for my printer into the form for repair/replacement that HP has for people with the problem. It said my printer did not qualify because my warranty expired in February of 2016. I would have preferred to talk to someone from HP on the phone but, I could not find a phone number.

I wound up ordering a new 6230 from Amazon and also got a 3-year protection plan. So, if the problem happens with the new one Amazon will deal with it.

The down side to the new printer is that it does not come with ink. However, not having ink is also why it is a lower price than what I paid in a store. Besides, I have ink that I installed shortly before this one stopped printing.

Getting another of this model may not be ideal but, I prefer single-function printers which are hard to find these days. Most that are available, regardless of brand, seem to be on the cheap side...especially if they sell for a low price.

HP Recommended

You are correct, you would think that a wide spread problem as this poor print head performance would result in a recall or extended coverage from HP. Sadly the company is not stepping up much to handle this. Yes, this was an inexpensive personal type printer but you should not have to replace it so soon. Good luck with they new one hopefully HP has made improvements.

HP Recommended

I guess "inexpensive" is a relative term.

I mean, it is not their top of the line model that you pay an arm, leg and your first born child for but, it is also not the lowest priced offering.

Thankfully the one I just purchased cost less than the one it is replacing and I hope, if something does go wrong with it that Amazon honors the protection plan.

I feel that an item like this should be expected to last a minimum of 3 years for the average home user...note that is the MINIMUM they SHOULD last far longer. And that should go for even the most basic models. I mean if you are printing stacks of documents each day that should be done with an industrial grade machine that's a different matter.

It does not help that so many companies are cutting corners that should not be cut to lower production costs while increasing profits at the expense of the consumer.

When it is time for another new printer I will seriously have to consider another brand.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.