Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Officejet 3830
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

my HP Officejet 3830 will scan and print, but it only prints blank sheets for everything else

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi Gene,

Turn the black cartridge upside down for about an hour. After that time, re-insert the cartridge and run a cartridge clean.

If this doesn't work neither, you can try to get a new cartridge from HP. You can contact HP with one of these options:

HP Social Media Support ( Facebook / Twitter: @ HPSupport ) or call HP (Contact HP)

Cheers!

Nils

Did you get a solution to your question? Please mark it as solved.

Did a post help you? Please click on the "thumbs up", to show this and actively help others.

I don't work on behalf of HP. | HP Expert program 

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi @gene20 ,

Here we have a problem with at least one cartridge.

Please try this with both cartridges:

Take a handkerchief and the cartridge. Now press the cartridge like a stamp on the handkerchief for about 2-3 seconds. You should see a strong, colored strip, consisting of  black / magenta, blue and yellow. Is this the case?
If there is no or very little ink on the handkerchief, moisten the handkerchief slightly and press the cartridge again, this time for about 30 seconds on it, until more ink comes out.
Afterwards, re-insert the cartridge and run a cartridge clean, if necessary.

What is the result?

Cheers!

Nils_K

Did a post help you? Please click on the "thumbs up", to show this and actively help others.

HP Recommended

Thanks Nils, but it still will not print anything except in copy mode. I can scan and copy  but not print anything else. I think it must be a software problem.

Gene

HP Recommended

Hi Gene,

I still believe this is a hardware problem. But there is a simple way to finally find that out. 😊

Please print a print quality report. To do so,

• On the printer control panel, swipe the display to the left, and then touch Setup.
  • Touch Tools, and then touch Print Quality Report.
    A Print Quality Diagnostic page prints.

Does the page look like this:

c04649419

Cheers!

Nils

HP Recommended

Hi Nils,

The test page printed with the colors, but the black and gray square, as well as the black text as well as the lines and box in between is missing. This is odd since if I copy something and print it, it prints in black. 

Thanks, Gene

HP Recommended

Hi Gene,

Sorry for my late reply!

@gene20 wrote:

Hi Nils,

The test page printed with the colors, but the black and gray square, as well as the black text as well as the lines and box in between is missing. This is odd since if I copy something and print it, it prints in black. 

Thanks, Gene

Thats definetly a problem with the black cartridge. The "black" which is on the paper when you copy, is mixed of the tri-color cartridge.

Did you do the handkerchief test and was there black ink on it?

Cheers!

Nils

HP Recommended

Hi Nils,

I did the test, yes for color, no for black. FYI, the meter shows the black ink cartridge to be about 40%.

Thanks, Gene

HP Recommended

Hi Gene,

Turn the black cartridge upside down for about an hour. After that time, re-insert the cartridge and run a cartridge clean.

If this doesn't work neither, you can try to get a new cartridge from HP. You can contact HP with one of these options:

HP Social Media Support ( Facebook / Twitter: @ HPSupport ) or call HP (Contact HP)

Cheers!

Nils

HP Recommended

Hi Nils,

Sorry I am late in responding to your email, but I had been away from my printer. 

Your last suggestion worked. Apparently it was an empty black cartridge that would sometimes print in back & white using the color cartridge. I put a new one in it it seems to be working now on text documents..

Thanks, Gene

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.