Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Envy 5055
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Brand new printer, replacing another HP printer (that I removed all drivers from the PC before installing the new one) and it is printing too dark.

I have used the same photo paper and printer the same photos than I had printed with the previous model, and the prints from the Envy are way too dark.

I have done the following already to try and fix it:

- removed and re-installed drivers

- re-aligned cartridges (using those that came with printer, so no refills, 3rd party ink)

- printed the quality diagnostic report

- cleaned cartridges

- printed using different settings (e.g.: draft, normal, paper type, etc)

Nothing seems to fix this issue. Considering the only change was the printer (still using the same PC, same printing software, same paper and even the same photos), there has to be a more advanced setting/instructions to follow to fix this besides the basic steps I have done already.

Looking forward to some suggestions/support.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@RMorri,

Your response was super quick. Thanks for the update. You've done great by displaying great efforts and troubleshooting skills. It is amply appreciated

Now it has been an absolute privilege to share this platform with you and I've done all I can to assist you here by keeping your best interest in mind. As it fails to copy correctly it looks like a hardware issue with the printer and it needs to be replaced.

I will send you a private message to assist you with the next course of action. Check your forum private message box in the upper right corner next to the bell icon.

Good luck and keep me posted about the developments. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution as it will help several others with the same issue and give the post a Kudos for my efforts to help. Thank you and have a lovely year ahead and stay healthy. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@RMorri,

Good Day.  Thanks for reaching out to the community. I understand that you have issues while printing photos. I will be glad to assist you and let’s get right to it. Fabulous description and excellent analysis of the issue. It is amply appreciated.

Let me gather some information for better clarity to assist you correctly:

• Did you make copies of some photos directly from the printer and check if they appear dark?
  • Did you try with a different brand of photo paper?
  • Did you check the product specifications of the printer to see if this photo paper size and type is supported by the new printer?

I will be providing a roadmap with some troubleshooting steps to resolve the issue. Let us try these steps:

Now check if the issue gets fixed. If it continues from this link: https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-envy-5000-all-in-one-printer-series/14095644/model/14095768/... check the product specs of the printer under the section “paper handling”

Only HP 10 x 15 cm photo paper: up to 300 g/m² this size of the photo paper is supported.

If it is the same size, make 2 photocopies of images directly from the printer to isolate the issue further.

If it copies correctly, then uninstall and reinstall the printer drivers at the root-level by following these steps:

• Uninstall the printer from "programs and features" which can be accessed by doing a right-click on the Windows button (Please have the printer Off and disconnected during uninstallation.)
  • Check in device manager, if the printer is listed there, please delete it. (Right click on the Windows button to access device manager)
  • Go to devices and printers, in the control panel and select any printer listed there and you will get some options on the top. 
  • Click on print server properties. 
  • You will get a popup, click on the drivers tab and delete all the HP printer drivers listed there if any.
  • Delete all the instances of your printer listed in devices and printers.
  • Restart the PC.
  • Once the PC is on the desktop, press Win + R, it would bring a Run dialog box, 
  • Type %temp% in the run box and click Ok or hit the Enter button.
  • It would bring up the temporary files folder. Delete the files in the folder (You might not be able to delete all the files).
  • If possible, delete the printer from the registries using Regedit or using any other 3rd party application.
  • Ignore the Regedit option if it cannot be done.
  • Restart the PC again. 

Then download the latest full feature driver from https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-envy-5000-all-in-one-printer-series/14095644/mod... and install it on the computer after selecting the correct operating system.

Connect the printer to your computer only when the setup prompts for the printer.

This should fix the issue.

Use HP Easy Start for Windows Printer Utility Software to download and install the HP drivers.

This should do the trick for you.

If this does not do the trick, please download the Windows Built-in drivers by following instructions from this link: http://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c01796879

• This should resolve the issue for you. There is an associated YouTube video on how to install it. Please check the steps:
    • Step 2: Connect your printer to the computer
    • Step 3: Install the print driver with the Add a Printer wizard
  • This should fix the issue.
  • Please ensure to run all Windows updates completely and the latest updates are installed correctly.
  • If it fails to copy or print correctly, then try a different brand of photo paper.

Good luck and keep me posted about the developments. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution as it will help several others with the same issue and give the post a Kudos for my efforts to help. Thank you and have a great week ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for the response.

It took me a couple of days to be able to go through all of the steps you recommended, and I am still having the issue.

Copies, printing, different paper brands and I still get the same (bad) results, any print coming out is dark. Comparing to previous prints from my previous printer (HP D110a), it is way too dark.

Any other suggestions?

HP Recommended

@RMorri,

Your response was super quick. Thanks for the update. You've done great by displaying great efforts and troubleshooting skills. It is amply appreciated

Now it has been an absolute privilege to share this platform with you and I've done all I can to assist you here by keeping your best interest in mind. As it fails to copy correctly it looks like a hardware issue with the printer and it needs to be replaced.

I will send you a private message to assist you with the next course of action. Check your forum private message box in the upper right corner next to the bell icon.

Good luck and keep me posted about the developments. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution as it will help several others with the same issue and give the post a Kudos for my efforts to help. Thank you and have a lovely year ahead and stay healthy. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.