Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

I have also lost the password. I got to the reset menu but not sure what to choose. I tried "Full Reflash" and got a green screen with 12345 on it. Then what? Or should I choose something else when I get to the service menu?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Ah. right.

The option is disabled for the users that did not choose the option to setup the printer as an IT professional (at 1st bootup) which allows you to enable and disable the options you need.

So enable the restore to factory defaults ( I believe this is the right sequence):

At idle screen touch the locations (not lit) Home > Back > Home > back

You will reach the enable-disable menu. Here you can enable the restore to factory defaults. then go back to settings and now you will see the option in the restore menu, below the other restore option.

HP has no default password. In order to make the products secure, you can onlly recover this if the screen is not locked. Someone must have set your password in the embedded web server.

The option to sign in in the front panel is not related to this issue (and no default password is available). This option is available for job storage and job pick up securely when a list of users has been set.

I hope this helps, good luck

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

Sorry I am not much help. I started the thread and so far we never got another one of these printers with a password so I never got to see what the service menu looks like. It seems some others have figured this out so hopefully you will get a reply from someone that actually made it work.

Have a great day! :generic:

HP Recommended

The green screen is a reflash mode screen that can't be used without specialized tools.

To solve this once and for all, the only way you can reset the password is if you didn't set a password for the UI lock.

In other words, if you still have access to the UI without restriction then you can reset EWS password.

I don't have a printer in front of me right now but to do that boot normally, and when the unit is fully booted up go to settings, and restore customer defaults in one of the menu items. This should do it.

let us know.

T

HP Recommended

I am not sure what the "UI lock" is. However, the display on the printer is avalable although the login to change things up right asks for a PIN we do not have. There are also some operations like sending print jobs as e-mail that asks for password. Otherwise I have access to the display. So in this case, there may be something I can do? We are using this printer for printing, copying and scanning, but would like access to it all.

//C

HP Recommended
UI lock is when an admin sets a password for everything on the UI and only allows certain actions.
The sign in feature on top right isn't what I was talking about. That's a feature for when you setup user accounts with different privileges.

Since you can still get to the control panel, at the home screen, in the top drop down menu there's a glyph for settings. Somewhere in there you'll find an option to do a restore defaults. Try that.

Good luck
HP Recommended

Thanks. I can not find a "restore defaults" option anywhere. I can restore for settings for network, print, scan etc, but not everything. Also when I go to the ptinters web page there's a lock on most settings and I do not have  the password and user name for that. Any idea what the default user name is?

HP Recommended

Ah. right.

The option is disabled for the users that did not choose the option to setup the printer as an IT professional (at 1st bootup) which allows you to enable and disable the options you need.

So enable the restore to factory defaults ( I believe this is the right sequence):

At idle screen touch the locations (not lit) Home > Back > Home > back

You will reach the enable-disable menu. Here you can enable the restore to factory defaults. then go back to settings and now you will see the option in the restore menu, below the other restore option.

HP has no default password. In order to make the products secure, you can onlly recover this if the screen is not locked. Someone must have set your password in the embedded web server.

The option to sign in in the front panel is not related to this issue (and no default password is available). This option is available for job storage and job pick up securely when a list of users has been set.

I hope this helps, good luck

HP Recommended

That did the trick! I now have the factory reset menu item. I have not tried it yet since every time I am about to do it someone in the office HAS to use the printer. As soon as I get around to it I will come back here and confirm that factory reset set me all the way back to where the printer was at when it was set up initially. Thank you so much! 

I would like to add that there should be warnings coming with these printers that what you do initially, especially locking the UI is non reversable. Most people when getting a new printer in a smaller business without dedicated IT personel will try to get the thing up and working as soon as possible and in this case do something that there's no way out of.  Maybe there are such warnings and the guy/gal who set it up didn't read it all? How shocking and unusual would that be! 😉

I can confirm that this took care of the problem. Still, when I tap the login icon top right on the display it asks for a PIN. No idea what that is for, or why I would want to log in from the display.

HP Recommended
Great. I'm sorry this was an issue for you. At HP our focus is the customer. That said, there's a balance between security and convenience albeit the lines may not meet at times, especially as we strive to be the most secure printer out there. I hope you understand.
The lock happens when a user has physical access to the printer and was set by the user. In your case the control panel wasn't locked which helped us resolve the issue.

To answer your second question. The sign in option at the top right is for a use case whereas you send a print job to the printer but you may not be next to it. If you don't want to get the print job completed at that time until you show up at the unit.
You would then access the printer using the previously assigned user name and password (set through Embedded Web Server) and print it.
I hope this helps.
Thank you
HP Recommended

Thank you for great help. Not trying to be difficult here, but why is it asking for a PIN now when I have not set one? I may be missing something obvious 🙂

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.