Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP J4680 All-in-One printer
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

On my desktop computer, the scanner in my HP J4680 All-in-One has simply and unexpectedly stopped working when I use the HP Solutions Center program.  Instruction #4 below states the the RPC and the Shell Hardware Detection processes BOTH need to be listed, but on my computer, only the RPC is listed as a dependent program -- i.e., the Shell Hardware Detection process doesn't even show up in the WIA Dependencies tab listing.  (It is, however, listed in the "Services" window as not only present but also running.)  So my question is, how can the Shell Hardware Detection service be installed as a "dependent program" so it shows up in the WIA Dependencies tab?

(I'm having exactly the same trouble scanning via a laptop connected via USB to a J4540 All-in-One printer.  Both of these computers are running Windows 10 and both use an i7 Intel processor.  Also, on both computers, the HP Scan Doctor 4.9 program crashes before its diagnostic is finished.)

I appreciate any help you can provide in the resolution of this problem. ~~ Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello, @HoiBoinst – Hope you are well!

Thank you for becoming an HP Forum member. It is a great location to get help from the community, get suggestions and find what has worked for others.

I see that you are facing scanning issues. I am afraid HP Solution center may not work in the Windows 10 environment since the solution center program is of an older generation and is not compatible with the Windows 10.

I would suggest you use HP Scan and Capture app to scan from your J4680 printer. HP Scan and Capture is a simple and fun application that captures photos or documents from most of the HP scanning device or your computer's built-in camera.  These images can be previewed, edited, saved, and shared to other applications. Click here for instructions and install link: http://hp.care/2dsHSjh

Please let me know whether that works for you. Thank you!

Cheers 🙂

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hello, @HoiBoinst – Hope you are well!

Thank you for becoming an HP Forum member. It is a great location to get help from the community, get suggestions and find what has worked for others.

I see that you are facing scanning issues. I am afraid HP Solution center may not work in the Windows 10 environment since the solution center program is of an older generation and is not compatible with the Windows 10.

I would suggest you use HP Scan and Capture app to scan from your J4680 printer. HP Scan and Capture is a simple and fun application that captures photos or documents from most of the HP scanning device or your computer's built-in camera.  These images can be previewed, edited, saved, and shared to other applications. Click here for instructions and install link: http://hp.care/2dsHSjh

Please let me know whether that works for you. Thank you!

Cheers 🙂

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

I'm pleased to say that I was able to successfully scan via my HP4680 All-in-One printer from my desktop.  I will do a test using my laptop at a later time.  It would be nice if the HP Print and Scan Doctor 4.9 program would work with Windows 10 and that the HP Support Assistant program would have let me know about your new HP Scan and Capture app so I wouldn't have had to go on a quest for a solution.

Frankly, I miss the extra functionality of the old HP Solutions Center program.  For example, the old program would tell me the ink levels of my printer cartridges, run functional tests on the cartridges, the paper feeder, the scanner, etc., send faxes, link me up to the HP website to order new cartridges, let me change settings for the printer, scanner, copier and fax, etc.  Are there any plans to make the HP Solutions Center program Windows 10 compatible?

In any case, thank you for your help; I do appreciate it as your information and instructions enabled me to fix my immediate scanning problem.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.