Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
ENVY 4500
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have ENVY 4500 printer software and driver installed, but no longer have the printer.   I go into HP Smart to remove the printer, but it says that it is not installed; however, the SW is still in the Programs folder and the printer still shows in HP Smart.  How do I get all traces of this printer off my machine?

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Did you try Programs and Features?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post that solves your issue as "Accept as Solution".
I am a volunteer and do not work for HP.
HP Recommended

Yes - That removes the SW, but some program at startup is failing because the SW has been deleted.  The printer still shows in HP Smart.

HP Recommended

Uninstalled HP Smart, but upon startup some program is calling for the ENVY 4500 SW which fails because it has been uninstalled.   Thought it may have been HP Smart, but not so.  Any idea who may be calling the ENVY 4500 SW at startup?

HP Recommended

Take a look at Task Manager > Startup.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

There is nothing there.  Anything related to HP has been disabled.  There are several HP services, but that is all i see.  See the attached photo from the task manager/services.  HP Services.jpg

HP Recommended

I also searched the registry looking for 4500 since the printer I am addressing is an HP ENVY 4500.  Came up with nothing.  

HP Recommended

Get yourself a copy of Autoruns for Windows.

HP Recommended

Looking at all the programs that start, it is no wonder it takes so long to boot up.   Thanks

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.