Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

Shhh.. But if you carefully use an Xacto knife and remove the small chip from last one that worked and small dot of glue to new one with will work.. Also need to go inside printer from dashboard and turn off where it remembers the last ink that was installed. I cant remeber exact steps but you tube is amazing

HP Recommended

All these companies are the same. Had this exact problem with an epson printer. Even if u play by their rules, eventually their chip malfunctions and shuts u down — even if the cart is full of ink

HP Recommended

Yep you’re right on...same happened with my Epson too before I purchased this HP Envy

HP Recommended

I just bought this printer and am reinstalling some new cartridges. It is telling me that the tri color needs to be reinstalled. I’ve unplugged and plugged it back in and have reinstalled the cartridge. What else can I do further? 

HP Recommended

If it’s a new cartridge you cleaned the contacts and dis the reset thing where u turned it off for a while — it just might be a bum cartridge.

do the online chat thing with tech support and they should send u a new one.

HP Recommended

Hello i am having the same issue, i did everything that was directed to do and its still saying the same INK CARTRIDGE PROBLEM! there brand new ink cartridges. its just the black ink cartridge im having problems with.

HP Recommended

Good news — you can still use the printer. Just take the black one out and the color will take over.

talk to the support person on the chat thing and get them to send u a new cartridge

HP Recommended

I have an HP OfficeJet 3830.  I've only used HP ink and I'm gone for months at a time.  I am now getting a message "Ink cartridges problem"  Remove and reinstall the indicated cartridge etc.  It indicates the black one.  Before I go buy yet another cartridge, I thought I'd try the 'hard re-boot' but it didn't work.  Any other ideas?  Thanks.

HP Recommended

Hi Rob

Short answer, try replacing the colour cartridge.

Long answer, I didn't get any response to my stroppy posting but after a couple of days I called the Instant Ink help team.  I have to say, they were really helpful (and the call was answered after only a few seconds, despite the answer message saying there was a long wait).

I was convinced that my problem was with the black cartridge (indicated by 3 black dots in a triangle shape).  However, the person I spoke to said that 3 dots indicates a problem with the colour cartridge.  I remained unconvinced but humoured him by installing a new colour cartridge.  The printer's been working fine ever since!

I daresay that you're not as silly as I was and probably you do really have a problem with the black cartridge, however, it was only after the phone call that I realised the screen on the printer is not colour, so the three black dots do, confusingly, indicate the colour cartridge.  (The black one is shown by a single black dot).  Also, I don't know if you have Instant Ink, so you may not be able to phone the help desk.  

Anyway, good luck and I'd suggest changing the colour cartridge if you have a new one.  Oddly, despite this very long string of people suffering the same the problem, no one else seems to have drawn attention to the fact that the sign for the colour cartridge isn't in colour - it probably is just me!

Jane

HP Recommended

HP Envy Photo 7155.  Did the hard reset twice, now message reads that BOTH cartridges need to be reinserted.  I have done this and the error message stays the same.  Anything else I can try?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.