Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
M254dw Printer
Other

I have seen this issue posted and resolved elsewhere on this site (https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printer-Setup-Software-Drivers/hp-color-laserjet-m254dw-forgot-passwor...) But it appears that I need a HP employee to contact me privately- so far, no luck finding a human to answer my query! 

I need to access the settings of an HP M254dw printer that is now in my possession, but has not been supplied with a password. I need to reset the printer so I can access the settings etc. and have not been able to find a workaround online.

For ref., since it doesn't appear in the options list, I'm running macOS Big Sur 11.2.

I'm aware there is specific procedure to "perform a full reset and re-initialize [of] the printer" that seems to be the solution, but I need 1-2-1 correspondence with an HP employee to have this procedure outlined to me (see linked post).

Any support would be gratefully received.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@G_Mags, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I understand you are not able to make changes to the settings on the printer. We need to perform a factory reset on the printer to resolve this issue. 

• The reset instructions are specific for your printer and performing those steps on a different printer may corrupt the device.
  • I've sent you a private message with reset instructions, follow the reset instruction to perform a full reset and re-initialize the printer.
  • In order to access your private messages, click the private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP community profile, next to your profile Name or simply click on this link: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/notes/privatenotespage

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@G_Mags, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I understand you are not able to make changes to the settings on the printer. We need to perform a factory reset on the printer to resolve this issue. 

• The reset instructions are specific for your printer and performing those steps on a different printer may corrupt the device.
  • I've sent you a private message with reset instructions, follow the reset instruction to perform a full reset and re-initialize the printer.
  • In order to access your private messages, click the private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP community profile, next to your profile Name or simply click on this link: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/notes/privatenotespage

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

is it possible you could send me the solution too as i cant connect the printer to our network and cant remember ever setting a password even though its asking for one .

HP Recommended

@chrislaw1968, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I have sent you a private message with a set of instructions to perform a reset. Kindly check the same, this might help you to resolve this issue. Check next to your profile name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it.  

Keep me posted for any other assistance.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

sorted , thank you .

HP Recommended

@chrislaw1968

Glad to know that. Keep me posted for any other assistance.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello there, 

I have the same problem with my HP M281fdw: repeatedly restarting with error 79 by itself. I have flashed the firmware, but it is still restarting. Please help me reset it. 

HP Recommended

Please also send me the private message in order to factory reset my printer... 

Blessings

HP Recommended

I'm getting error 79 and do not know my password for my hp laserjet254dw.  Can you send me a private message?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.