Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

This did not work for me. I have a wireless network.   All worked well until I successfully signed into the wireless network.  

After I signed in, the printer went back onto the "Service Error 79/ System Initialization" loop.

I'm going tp try this using an Ethernet connection to my PC.

HP Recommended

I have the same problem with my M281 fdw printer. But since this thread is marked as solved, it probably isn't going to be addressed by HP staff. I have uninstalled all the software for the printer at the suggestion of a Windows help page but the printer stays in the continuous reboot cycle. 

According to the HP Doctor I need to remove the non HP DIMM in my printer. I have never installed any cards in the printer. HP messed up my printer. 

HP Recommended

I’m experiencing the same issues with the same printer.  Please provide the procedure for downgrading the firmware.

Thanks

HP Recommended

Same as Javier1515

HP Recommended

After several unsuccessful attempts to resolve this issue, I reset the printer, turned off wireless printing and plugged in a usb cable.  Selected the MFP M278-M281 PL6 (network) printer to the M278-M281. Restarted the computer and printer and can now print. While it is inconvenient, I use the printer at home so it works.  Hopefully HP will address and provide a solution.

HP Recommended

Keep getting Error 79 in my HP Color Laser Jet MFP M281cdw after doing everything suggested in customer support :  Unplug, take out ink cartridges,  reiinstal firmware.  Can get it to work for 10 minutes, then back again.

HP Recommended

I am having the same issue as all of you after an update to the firmware.  I have isolated the 79 error bootloop to having the printer connected to my wired network, doesn't produce the error code if using wireless connection.  However, is all cases, I get a supply error since using third party toner.  

I have tried downgrading the firmware to the previous version via USB cable, but the printer does not take downgraded firmware.  I have the "Services" setting to accept downgrade, turn off auto update and prompt before updating.  My Toner company has incredible customer support and is sending me a fresh batch of toner to see if that resolves error.  Hoping I don't have to purchase HP toner at over $350, which is more than the cost of the printer.

HP Recommended

I am having the same issue with my Color LaserJet Pro MFP M281fdw.  The printer is in a loop of giving a 79 Service Error then cycling off and back on, just to give same error.  I reset the printer by holding bottom right corner of view screen but as soon as I turn on wireless connection it goes right back to this loop.  This issue has continued for weeks on this HP board but no response or update  from the manufacturer yet?

I have already done troubleshooting suggested by this document: https://support.hp.com/au-en/document/c05029970

Please help as it is hurting our ability to conduct business.

HP Recommended

Following the following steps should solve the problem.

1)  Unplug any ethernet cables and, if possible, shut off the wireless network.  The 79 error code is driven by a firmware issue related to internet connectivity.

2)  Shut down the printer.  Then restart with your thumb on either the lower right or lower left corner of the printer control touchpad.  This resets to factory defaults and should who an "Init Installed" message if succcessful.

3)  Connect to the printer with a USB cable and adjust the printer setting to manual updates.

4)  Download the previous version of the firmware.  Unfortunately, HP doesn't provide the backward versions, so you'll need to find online.  I used this link, but people keep erasing from my posts.  It's what worked for me.

https://web.archive.org/web/20190822151251/https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software13/FW_CPE_Consumer...

5)  Send the firmware to the printer via the USB.  Restart when done.  Reconnect all cables.  Should be fine.

Hope that helps.

HP Recommended

If you can change to a usb connection, follow the instructions that Lahadood provides below.   It might work.  I have always used HP cartridges, but I cannot operate using a wireless network anymore.  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.