Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

I followed that same factory reset process and unfortunately it didn't solve the problem for me.  I'm still stuck in the 79 service error death loop.

HP Recommended

Hi Karen.  I have the same problem but am having trouble following the steps you described.  I've done a screen shot of your message and will try again tomorrow but if still unsuccessful would love a bit more detail on the steps you followed.

I've already done the factory setting reset, but it's not clear to me how to "upload" the downgraded  firmware when my Apple won't connect to the printer.  (I do wonder if this is an Apple problem since Mac OS doesn't seem to play well with HP drivers.)

HP Recommended

My MFP281 has had very similar issues -- after accepting an update in early Nov 2020. The printer would cycle through re-initializing (described below), but stopped when the USB cable was disconnected. At that time, it was connected by USB to my (Mac) computer, by ethernet and by phone line (both from a modem). Our Staples supervisor suggested deleting all HP drivers and reinstalling. This worked for about two weeks until a sheet feed error. Since then  the printer is stuck AGAIN in cycles of "79 Service Error" display, cycling through blank screen/powering up etc. (It may do this dozens of time.)

I have not updated the firmware yet. I wonder how this can work, since the computer is unable to find the printer. Must we ensure a working ethernet connection?

HP Recommended

THANK YOU! this worked perfectly! My printer has been in an endless loop for days now. None of the other solutions offered online fixed it. HP was no help. But you, my friend, fixed my printer. Have a great day!

HP Recommended

Exactly the same problem, it won't reset, won't go through wireless connection process, 

HP Recommended

One more thing.....

Remember, after you have downloaded the downgraded Firmware, DON'T CONNECT ANY OTHER CABLES UNTIL....

You must go back into setup and Service mode to access the Laser Jet Update the Manage Updates. Turn off the Auto Update. That is what got us into trouble in the first place. HP has it default to accept Auto Updates every time Firmware is loaded. Once you have made sure that Auto Update has been turned off. Go to home screen, turn your printer off then restart. Go back into those same settings to make very sure they are STILL turned off, if they are still off, reconnect the WiFi or Ethernet cables which in most cases will connect your printer back to the internet and your network or both.

Until HP gets their act together on this latest Firmware update you should NOT trust it.

Good luck.

PS... Mac users can try this also but my experience with Mac's and HP is that there are always problems.

HP Recommended

KenS52,

First make sure WiFi is OFF, disconnect all cables Except Power. Turn off and Restart. It should settle down and stop the endless reboot.

Once it settles down go the the other Nitroadman posts and read those. One refers you back to Javier1515 for the download link, etc., etc.

Good luck.

HP Recommended

Solved...Thanks...working again. What in the world did HP do with the update. Sounds like a bunch of us got slammed with this update.

HP Recommended

THIS BELOW APPEARS TO BE THE CORRECT SOLUTION:

Below are the steps that you need to follow in the order as mentioned ...

Disconnect the printer from the NETWORK
If on wired network : Unplug the Ethernet cable from back of the printer.
If on wireless network : Power of the Wireless router. Turn off the printer.

Wait for 30 seconds. Turn on the printer.

If the printer is in READY state, on the printer front panel, go to Setup -> Network Setup -> Network Services -> IPv6 -> Off. Turn off the printer. Wait for 30 seconds and then turn on.

Try printing , it should work.

HP Recommended

THIS BELOW APPEARS TO BE THE CORRECT SOLUTION:

Below are the steps that you need to follow in the order as mentioned ...

Disconnect the printer from the NETWORK
If on wired network : Unplug the Ethernet cable from back of the printer.
If on wireless network : Power of the Wireless router. Turn off the printer.

Wait for 30 seconds. Turn on the printer.

If the printer is in READY state, on the printer front panel, go to Setup -> Network Setup -> Network Services -> IPv6 -> Off. Turn off the printer. Wait for 30 seconds and then turn on.

Try printing , it should work.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.