Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 5660
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'm trying to print using my HP ENVY 5660 on Grafix InkJet Shrink Film, both sanded and unsanded.

I load the paper into the printer, proper side face down.  The sheet prints, and the colors cloud out and bleed far beyond what they're supposed to.  What's odd is that this seems to be color specific, even on the same page and same paper.  I used the same graphic, changing the color scheme in photoshop.  

The issue seems to be particularly with greys or darker browns.  Even then, the results are fairly inconsistent regardless of what selections I make.  Colors that print with no issue are brighter, more saturated and pastel colors, and dark purples/blues.

Image attached to show difference in quality on same page print, different color schemes.

Same page print results

I've tried Draft to reduce the ink overflow.

I've used every possible paper setting: Other Glossy Inkjet, Other Photo Paper, Other Matte Paper, Plain Paper, and all HP options.

The issue does not occur during black and white printing.

I've installed the latest drivers.

I've aligned the cartridges.

I've run a diagnostic page and cleaning, all okay.

I am using genuine HP ink.

Edit: I've cleaned the inkheads and all pieces in the printer with Isopropyl Alcohol and q-tips.  It's at least very clean now, but the printing issue appears the same.

Edit edit:  The issue stops when I print images at 30% opacity, which leads me to believe that this is an ink overflow issue.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
Unfortunately not really.

Thanks anyway.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi @PeopleEveryday,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums! 🙂  I understand you are running into some print quality issues with your HP Envy 5660. You are printing on Grafix InkJet Shrink Film.

After taking a look in theProduct Specifications, that paper is not a supported paper type. Check out the paper handling section for supported paper/specialty paper types. 

I hope this helps. 

This is a great question other customers may also be wondering about; please click the "Accept as Solution" if you feel this post has helped you, or could help others. 

HevnLgh
I work on behalf of HP

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to the left of the reply button to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended
Unfortunately not really.

Thanks anyway.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.