Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Dell
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

on 11/26/20 printer was working.  We left house a few hours later returned and had Supply Problem error message with a "?" over each color indicator in display.  No one was home to bother printer, etc.  I have unplugged printer numerous times and checked & double checked cartridges are in tight, etc.  How could it be working and then not working.  All 4 cartridges are off brand, but never had problem the entire time (2 years) we've owned printer.  all 4 colors replaced in August 2020.  I cannot get it to print anything or give me a supply status report.  

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hello,

Please click  https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printers-Knowledge-Base/Error-79-on-HP-Color-LaserJet-Pro-M280-M281-Mu...  to access the steps that should resolve the issue .

Regards,
Jabzi

Give Kudos to say "thanks" by clicking on the "thumps Up icon" .

Click "Accept as Solution" if it solved your problem, so others can find it.
Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
HP Recommended

Hello Jabzi,

I am having this same problem, except it's on an HP Color LaserJet Pro M180. I tried the steps you outlined here, but no luck. Is there something different for this series?

TIA!

HP Recommended

I have a LaserJet Pro MFP M180NW printer that is getting the error message.  I do not get an error code 79.  My simply says Supply Error message as stated in my original post.  

HP Recommended

Same as me, GeorgeMom! No 79. And it just happened one day, like yours. I found something that said - Replace cartridges immediately, so I think it may have to do with off-brand toner. So frustrating!

HP Recommended

With the Supply Problem and ? showing across the display error on the printer, has anyone had success in replacing the toner cartridges from off-brand to HP brand to fix this?  Don't want to try this if it is not the solution.  Very expensive.  Funny how printer worked, then a few hours later got this message and no one was home or on our computer using the printer.

Very frustrating.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.