Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

Hi there,

I have a problem with connecting to the server - it reads: Server Connection Error on my printer.

I use Photosmart Adv Ink K510a and Mac OSx 10.5.8.

I had my printer connected on wifi for some time and it worked kinda OK but with on and off moments  .. quite annoying thing in a long run. Then someone helped me to setup static IP through the web of my printer ... and since then only problems:

- I cannot browse my printer IP because it doesn't connect through- shows website error on my Firefox

- HP Utilities on my Mac cannot detect nor connect the printer

- When trying to use Apps on the printer, I get this server connection error message

I have reinstalled the printer perhaps dozen times and what I noticed the IP has changed but the Configuration Source still reads: Manual.

When I browse the new IP address, still unable to connect to the printer web to check setup. I can connect it though to my laptop and it shows in Preferences under Print & Fax, but the HP Utilities still unable to detect the printer so as a result, printing is not possible.

On top of this, the entire diagnostics of printer's wifi connection that I run from it shows everything impeccable and both of them: HP Network Configuration Page and Wireless Network Test showing no problems detected.

So what is it? Can you help ?

Thanks a million!

HP Recommended

It sounds like your printer is connected to your network, that is good.

Reset the printing system:

- Go to System Preferences > Print & Scan
- Right (or control) click in the rectangle listing your printers and select Reset Printing System.
WARNING - this will delete ALL of your printers!
- Select the plus sign to re-add a printer. Select the Defualt tab on the top of the window. Look for the printer, select it and wait until the "Add" button becomes available. Click it.

I am employed by HP

Say thanks by clicking "Kudos" "thumbs up" in the post that helped you.
HP Recommended

Hi Dean,

Thanks for your message. Indeed, it looks like the printer is connect to my network.

I tried to do what you have suggested also before - but when I want to add printer in Print & Fax under Default - the printer is not showing at all. I tried also add by IP address that I took from Network Configuration Page and still nothing.

Can you figure this out?

HP Recommended

OK, what brand/model router are you using?

I am employed by HP

HP Recommended

I use wirless D-Link DIR-615, WLAN 2.4-2.4835 GHz

HP Recommended

OK, first, that particular model router has had some problems with wireless printers and D-link has issued a firmware update to address it.  You can try the D-link CD to check for updates or if you do not have the CD, type 192.168.0.1 into the address bar of a web browser.  The login is 'admin' and the password is left blank.

Next, let's set a static IP address for the printer:

- Print a Network Config Page from the front of the printer. Note the printer's IP address.
- Type that IP address into a browser to reveal the printer's internal settings.
- Choose the Networking tab, then Wireless along the left side, then the IPv4 tab.
- On this screen you want to set a Manual IP. You need to set an IP address outside the range that the router automatically sets (called the DHCP range). Yours is 192.168.0.100 to .199.  Let's use 192.168.0.220 for your printer.
- Use 255.255.255.0 for the subnet (unless you know it is different, if so, use that)
- Enter your router's IP (on the Network Config Page) for the gateway.
- Enter 8.8.8.8 for the first DNS and 8.8.4.4 for the second DNS. This is Google DNS. You can choose another external DNS if you wish.
- Click 'Apply'.

Now, shut down the router and printer, start the router, wait, then start the printer.

Finally, reset the printing system again using the instructions above.

I am employed by HP

HP Recommended

I really appreciate your help and advise. Unfortunately, the problem with connecting to the printer website URL for embedded web server persists.

I think this is the key issue as I am not able to access all of the printer's settings on the server to change them as you have advised.

I check my router on D-Link website ( http://support.dlink.com) and the version D-615 Wireless N Home Router, hardware version H-1 I have is up to date. There is only one firmware update for retail stores and not for home use.

My internet works excellent and every other sites are loading quickly, the only problem is with URl of my printer.

Sorry that I was not able to use your advise :smileysad:, which I am sure would work if I can access printer's URL.

Thanks.

HP Recommended

Oh, yeah that is a problem, huh?  Have you restarted the router by pulling its power plug momentarily?   Can you get to your router's IP address?

Download and run this utility: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=mp-104282-2&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en...

What does it say?

I am employed by HP

HP Recommended

I have no problem to connect to my router IP whatsoever. I have just connected to check for updates from the router's web and it works.

HP Recommended

Did you run the utility to see why you cannot connect to the printer?

I am employed by HP

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.