Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
iMAC
macOS 10.14 Mojave

I have an old HP OfficeJet Pro 8600 Plus which will no longer print word documents, even if I try to print black and white.   I am on a wireless network but am able to print test pages using HP utility, but I am not, for example, able to print the test page on HP Easy Start and I cannot print any Microsoft Office Documents.   Whenever I make the attempt, I get the message "filter failed" and above "The printer ink is low"  Specifically, this is the Cyan and Yellow ink is low.  Black ink is new.  What is the likelihood that I go out and buy color ink for this printer and it still has the same error?   I reset the printer on my MAC and reinstalled drivers and it is doing the same thing, so I suspect it is the color ink, but still don't understand why it will not allow me to print in grayscale using the new black ink cartridge I purchased.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Nope, replaced all cartridges and I still get the same error, filter failed.  On top, it simply says "opening printer connection"

HP Recommended

@jimctr, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I understand you are not able to print due to this error. This seems like a software issue. And yes, this printer needs all 4 ink cartridges to be present and have minimum ink to print.

Have you tried printing a PDF document or emails/webpages to check if the error persists?

Follow the steps below: 

  

Remove the printer 

1. Click the Apple menu, click System Preferences, and then click Print & Scan or Printers & Scanners. 

2. Check if your printer name displays in the Printers list, If your printer is listed, click the printer name, click the minus sign to delete the printer. 

3. If you see multiple printer queues for the same printer, remove all extra printers by selecting them one at a time, and then clicking the minus button  at the bottom of the list. 

Add the printer 

1. If your printer is connected to your Mac with a cable, disconnect the cable from your Mac. 

2. Turn off your printer. 

3. Get software updates for your Mac. Your Mac automatically downloads the latest software for most printers as part of these updates, so it's best not to install software from the printer manufacturer. 

4. Reconnect your printer to your Mac, if applicable. 

5. Turn on your printer and wait for it to finish starting up. 

6. Choose Apple menu > System Preferences, then click Printers & Scanners. 

7. Select your printer in the list of devices. 

Update the printer firmware

Click here to download and install the latest printer firmware from your MAC.

Click here to know different methods of updating printer firmware.

If you still have issues, verify and repair disk permissions. 

On the Apple menu bar, click Go, applications, utilities, disk utility, click on Mac hard drive on the left side, click on verify disk permissions, when that is finished click repair disk permissions. 

(when it is finished will show disk repair completed) 

  

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.