Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows XP
  • I looked and saw that there were default levels in the printer for low ink levels.
  • I see that ink levels are reported in multiples of 100
  • 2 ink levels are at near 0, and still no ink level warnings.
  • the graphic ink levels are always a mismatch and centered and squished compared to the actual values. I can provide you the math for a graph if you need it.
  • I think the ink was originally at 400 for color?
  • first-installed 2016-12-09, original ink that came with printer.
  • Approximate Pages Remaining * 100 100 100 300

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The numbers you gave are the "number of pages remaining", an estimate of the remaining ink left. Based on the numbers it would appear you have about 1/4 of the color ink and 3/8 of the black ink left.

The ink gauge is intended to be an estimate given to give you time to have replacement supplies on hand for when the ink is depleted.  When a cartridge becomes depleted in the Officejet Pro 8725 you will need to replace the depleted cartridge to continue printing, even for example to print black only if a color cartridge is depleted.

The setup cartridges for the Officejet Pro were rated at 400 pages for color and 725 pages for black.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

The numbers you gave are the "number of pages remaining", an estimate of the remaining ink left. Based on the numbers it would appear you have about 1/4 of the color ink and 3/8 of the black ink left.

The ink gauge is intended to be an estimate given to give you time to have replacement supplies on hand for when the ink is depleted.  When a cartridge becomes depleted in the Officejet Pro 8725 you will need to replace the depleted cartridge to continue printing, even for example to print black only if a color cartridge is depleted.

The setup cartridges for the Officejet Pro were rated at 400 pages for color and 725 pages for black.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

guess I am gjust going to have to wait until the "red flag" dialog comes up. was getting anxious.

HP Recommended

it came up with a warning on the starter ink.

HP Recommended

The warning means the ink is getting low.  You can continue to print, but should have a set of cartridges available when the ink actually runs out (which may be soon).  Not that when you install a cartridge the printer will go through an initialization process to prime air out of the ink delivery system.  Although you can replace just the single cartridge that is depleted it may be better to replace all the cartridges that are low at that point.  For example:  if cyan is depleted and yellow and magenta are very low it would probably be better to replace all at the same time.  If you replace just cyan the initialization process may be enough to deplete magenta, and if you then replace just magenta the additional initialization process may deplete yellow. This is generally frustrating and will result in three initialization cycles rather than one if all the nearly depleted cartridges are replaced at once. 

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.