Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

Hello. Brand new LaserJet Enterprise M751dn that arrived on Friday, connected to my network by Ethernet. On my Macintosh (MacOS 12.4 Monterey), every first time print job produces an error, "Error receiving data." Clicking "Exit" on the printer, and then and then scrolling around to click "Exit" a second time, always clears the error and prints the job, but this is a real nuisance, and not sustainable long term. What seems to provoke the error is:

— Printing from a different application as the one I used last time;

— Any changes to print setup from the ones I used last time (e.g. scale-to-fit, duplexing, resolution, paper size), etc.

I have done all the obvious things (rebooting printer and Mac, trying to install new firmware, removing the printer and re-adding it) — no luck. I'd be very grateful for some help!

Regards,

JH

HP-error.jpg

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Make sure you have the right driver and also confirm you do not have a duplicate IP.address on your network as the error suggests that there is a communication issue.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

Thanks, Repairatrooper. I hadn't thought to look for duplicate IPs, but alas there aren't any. And the drivers are brand new, too.

HP Recommended

I had the exact same issue printing from a MacBook Pro to both my HP BW and Color laser printer. We did a firmware update on both, and it fixed the issue.

HP Recommended

This is absolute madness. I've updated all the software and firmware, and still no resolution. Plus, now, this:

• It continues to report an "error receiving data" ANY time you change print settings, or print from a different app;

• It regularly demands letter size paper in tray 1, even though I ONLY use tabloid size paper and have it loaded in tray 2, and have configured this correctly in both the Print and Print Setup dialog boxes;

• Printing from Adobe Illustrator regularly produces a "filter error" that causes jobs to hang indefinitely;

• Clicking "print" from the printer itself produces pages of gibberish, burning through my paper supply.

This is lunacy. I have not had ONE DAY of use from this printer since I took delivery of it two weeks ago. I'm grateful to people in the community for trying to help, but can someone from HP actually help me?

EVERY time I print, it asks for letter size paper, even though…EVERY time I print, it asks for letter size paper, even though……the dialog box is clearly set up correctly, specifying the correctly loaded paper size in the correctly loaded tray.…the dialog box is clearly set up correctly, specifying the correctly loaded paper size in the correctly loaded tray.A good number of my jobs come out like this.A good number of my jobs come out like this.

HP Recommended

Couple of things come to mind:

1. Are you using an HP supplied driver or a generic Apple PS driver?  I ask because the sheet of random letters is often the sign of a wrong driver being used and the print is the result of the printer not understanding a print command

2. In terms of the insert letter paper in tray 1. The printer reacts to the print job that is sent. If it sees a command stating that the job is to be printed on letter and it has no letter it will ask. It only does what it is asked to do. In your case this even more so suggests that there is some sort of driver issue such as corruption or wrong driver. 

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

Thanks, Repairatrooper. I also thought it might be a driver issue, but it doesn't look like it is. To answer your questions,

1. I am using the HP-supplied driver, version 19.3601.
  2. The jobs that I send always specify "tabloid" (or "11x17", depending on the application.)

Is anyone from HP listening?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.