Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

DIREGARD my fix. It is temporary. Once printer or computer is restarted problem comes back.  I need a new ink cartridge, I reset my printer and now it won't let me continue until I replace it, and don't want to spend the money due to the possibility that a fix is not coming.  I too will now buy a Canon printer on Cyber Monday.

HP Recommended

That's a shame and also interesting, my experience was that I bought new ink cartridges as I originally thought that was the problem. All new ink cartridges and it still said I needed to replace them even though they are new!! I concluded that the ink cartridge notice is also part of the software problem that makes it say the printer is waiting and unavailable. You might be wasting your money with new ink cartridges. In the end I have given up the ghost. I found a Cannon printer in the Black Friday sales for $19.00 at Walmart. The best all in one printer Black Friday deal I found. So, I bought it and am going to get rid of this  HP printer and take back the two unopened ink cartridges to try and get my money back. Bye Bye HP!! 

HP Recommended

OK, got it and quadruple checked it turned everything off and on again and it still works.

ON MAC:  Delete current printer:  System Preferences, Printers and Scanners and select any Printers on left side of window then press the “-“ sign below that window to remove it.  

ON PRINTER:  Make sure printer is set to “WIRELESS DIRECT” - On printer select SETUP, NETWORK and turn WIRELESS DIRECT ON.  I have Security turned on and noted the 8 digit passcode.  You can leave the Security OFF.  I have WIRELESS turned OFF.

When You are ready to print something:

1. Go to “SYSTEM PREFERENCES”
  2. Go to “NETWORK”
  3. Go to “NETWORK NAME:”  Select “HP-Print-53-OfficeJet Pro 8600” - you are not longer connected to internet because you are only connected to your printer
  4. Go back to whatever you wanted to print and print as you normally would - Enter 8 digit passcode enabled.
    1. You might need to select the printer in the Applications print window if it isn't defaulted.
  5. UNDO Step 4 by reselecting your previous "NETWORK NAME" to get back on the internet
HP Recommended

This worked for me! Thank you so much. SO frustrating!

HP Recommended

None of the options mentioned worked for me either, but this did, accidentally work:

I went into applications and searched HP, it resulted in about 1000 documents and files and some other junk, so I was going through and deleting all that I could and all of the sudden my printer printed a document that I had been trying to print previously. 

After this I went and tried to print another document and apple gave me the option to install what was needed to print, I did,  and it works now!
Unfortunately I cant say for sure what I deleted that made it work but if you're out of options like I was that would be my advice. 

HP Recommended

I tried all other suggestions without success as well, but this did, accidentally work:

I went into applications and searched HP, it resulted in about 1000 documents and files and some other junk, so I was going through and deleting all that I could and all of the sudden my printer printed a document that I had been trying to print previously. 

After this I went and tried to print another document and apple gave me the option to install what was needed to print, I did,  and it works now!
Unfortunately I cant say for sure what I deleted that made it work but if you're out of options like I was that would be my advice. 

HP Recommended

I finally got my drivers updated and managed to get this to work after months! 

1. Click Finder

in the Dock.
  2. In the menu bar, click Go, click Applications, and then open the HP or Hewlett Packard folder.
    • If HP Uninstaller is in the folder, double click it, and then follow the on-screen instructions to uninstall the software.
    • If HP Uninstaller is not in the folder, continue to the next step.
  3. Click and drag the HP or Hewlett Packard folder to the Trash icon in the Dock.
  4. In the menu bar, click Go, click Go to Folder, type /Library/Printers, then click Go.
    The Printers folder opens.
  5. Click and drag the HP or Hewlett Packard folder to the Trash icon in the Dock.
  6. Restart the Mac.
  7. Right-click or Ctrl + click the Trash icon, and then select Empty Trash.

Step 4 Is what did the magic for me. When you restart, new drivers are downloaded. 

HP Recommended

JamesM1980 - Unfortunately that didn't work for me.  I am still have wireless direct turned on and to print I select the WiFi symbol (top right) and select HP-Print-53-OfficeJet Pro 8600 to print anything.  Can't scan to computer with that but can still fax, copy and have full printing capability.  Thanks.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.