cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Common problems for INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Instant Ink. Check out this link: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER. .
DKL5
Level 3
20 13 0 13
Message 21 of 44
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I had success downloading it yesterday, and just checked again today at:  11/6/2020 @ 18:22, it still works.

The link would not work with Chrome, but I used the Brave browser and it downloaded with no problem.
Post if it doesn't work.

0 Kudos
rossco1978
Level 2
14 13 0 2
Message 22 of 44
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Andy, please tell me and save my sanity. [Personal Information Removed] - ps i have a mac and not a pc. thanks

0 Kudos
NTB2
1 1 0 0
Message 23 of 44
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Andy. Would you have a link for the MFP M280 printer as I have the same problem. 

0 Kudos
andy_p2
Level 3
12 11 0 17
Message 24 of 44
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP are removing all links to the older firmware in these forums, and all copies of the old firmware from their download sites.
There are copies of both HP_LaserJet_Pro_M280_M281_Printer_series_20200612.exe and HP_Color_LaserJet_Pro_M254_dw_Printer_series_20200612.exe out there; hopefully google will crawl them so they can be found.

This page now has a useful selection of different firmware:  https://www.ghost-white-toner.com/firmware-update-warning/

0 Kudos
Tripodtodd
Level 2
3 3 0 13
Message 25 of 44
Flag Post
HP Recommended

So, if I understand you correctly, the chips do not meet legal requirements, so you are letting your customers foot the bill? I paid a lot of money for your product, and if it's not fixed within the next few days, I will toss it, and I will make a point of NEVER buying anything from HP EVER again. I have a business to run. That was why I spent extra money. I thought I was buying reliability. Do you think for one second that I care about the legal requirements of chips? I just want a printer scanner that does what you advertised. I did not get what i paid for. 

miltonbradley1
Level 1
7 6 0 0
Message 26 of 44
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Andy_p2 I haven't been able to find a working link for the firmware I need to allow my M254dw to accept my new after market cartridges.  Would you be able to share it with me?  Thank you.

0 Kudos
miltonbradley1
Level 1
7 6 0 0
Message 27 of 44
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Andy_p2 I forgot to mention that I am using a MacBook Air

0 Kudos
andy_p2
Level 3
12 11 0 17
Message 28 of 44
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I haven't got a mac, but I believe a variant of the technique listed here will work:  https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printing-Errors-or-Lights-Stuck-Print-Jobs/HP-Color-Laser-jet-Pro-MFP-...The ftp site it mentions also appears to have a full set of firmware .rfu files, although no pc-based uploader programs.

0 Kudos
miltonbradley1
Level 1
7 6 0 0
Message 29 of 44
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Andy (and others) thank you so much for your guidance.  I was able to resolve the supply problem error message on my M254dw.  Fortunately I was replacing HP cartridges with aftermarket cartridges.  I removed the chips from the HP cartridges and inserted them into the aftermarket cartridges and now have no problems printing.

0 Kudos
andy_p2
Level 3
12 11 0 17
Message 30 of 44
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The problem is getting noticed by more bloggers now

This guy has got the steps to fix it on a Mac

https://kevin.deldycke.com/2020/11/revert-hp-printer-ban-on-third-party-ink-cartridges/

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation