cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Common problems for INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Instant Ink. Check out this link: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER. .
DrPHA
2 2 0 0
Message 31 of 44
Flag Post
HP Recommended

any advice on how to do this on a mac?  Thank you!

0 Kudos
rossco1978
Level 2
14 13 0 2
Message 32 of 44
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi can you please tell me how you did it? Thanks

0 Kudos
miltonbradley1
Level 1
7 6 0 0
Message 33 of 44
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Are you looking to download firmware on the Mac or change out chips from HP cartridges to aftermarket?

0 Kudos
DrPHA
2 2 0 0
Message 34 of 44
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I would like to download the old firmware, or change the chips- whatever will get my printer going again.  Also, everytime someone posts about the old firmware or a solution HP removes the content.  Also, can you Suggest any other sites that are not censored

0 Kudos
miltonbradley1
Level 1
7 6 0 0
Message 35 of 44
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi.  I found the same problem regarding the firmware.  This link may help, although as I mentioned, I didn't need to go that way. 

Are you replacing cartridges that are HP?  If so you can do what I did.  I will attach two pictures.  The first is of the HP cartridge (after I removed the chip).  I removed the chip (which was in a slot above where you see the Y).  To do that I used needle nose pliers and broke the small piece of plastic that held the chip in place.  The second picture is of my aftermarket cartridge where I inserted the chip.  There is nothing blocking the slot for the chip, but it does take some fine motor skills.  

hp cartridge no chip.jpg

aftermarket cartridge w chip-1.jpg
0 Kudos
epidem1
2 2 0 0
Message 36 of 44
Flag Post
HP Recommended

How did you do this via USB? Did you connect a USB stick direct to the printer? If I do this I can't see a way of seeing the executable file.

Or do you have to connect a laptop with the executable firmware file to the printer via a USB cable?

BW

Michael

0 Kudos
vpbaab8b36
Level 3
37 33 2 9
Message 37 of 44
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Please check printer model and download corresponding firmware file from https://www.ghost-white-toner.com/firmware-update-warning/ for your model.

Printer driver should be installed on your computer. When you start the .exe file it asks you to select printer to upgrade/ downgrade.

Please keep in mind your printer has to be with Allow Downgrade ENABLED !

Here are short video instructions i found on the net: https://youtu.be/3DxGnet3XLg 

Stefan
Chipjet found HP released upgraded firmware (version: 20201021) to HP CF500 series printers via WIFI (or wired network), which caused the replacement chips i...
0 Kudos
epidem1
2 2 0 0
Message 38 of 44
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for the quick response!

Yes it is most definitely a HP Color LaserJet Pro M254dw.

I have done what you said already. When I run the executable file and select the printer, a bar shows that it is supposedly being transferred and a smile emoticon comes up at the end, but like ThierryB68's Post 8, after it has completed:

"I see a 32MB " Firmware Update" print job going into the printer queue, but it stays there and nothing happens on the printer"

0 Kudos
vpbaab8b36
Level 3
37 33 2 9
Message 39 of 44
Flag Post
HP Recommended

This says printer has not received the firmware.

Allow downgrade should be enabled.

Also try changing USB port.

Stefan
0 Kudos
brifla
5 4 0 0
Message 40 of 44
Flag Post
HP Recommended

100% with you. If I don't get this sorted in half an hour, it's going out the window!!

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation