Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

any advice on how to do this on a mac?  Thank you!

HP Recommended

Hi can you please tell me how you did it? Thanks

HP Recommended

Are you looking to download firmware on the Mac or change out chips from HP cartridges to aftermarket?

HP Recommended

I would like to download the old firmware, or change the chips- whatever will get my printer going again.  Also, everytime someone posts about the old firmware or a solution HP removes the content.  Also, can you Suggest any other sites that are not censored

HP Recommended

Hi.  I found the same problem regarding the firmware.  This link may help, although as I mentioned, I didn't need to go that way. 

Are you replacing cartridges that are HP?  If so you can do what I did.  I will attach two pictures.  The first is of the HP cartridge (after I removed the chip).  I removed the chip (which was in a slot above where you see the Y).  To do that I used needle nose pliers and broke the small piece of plastic that held the chip in place.  The second picture is of my aftermarket cartridge where I inserted the chip.  There is nothing blocking the slot for the chip, but it does take some fine motor skills.  

hp cartridge no chip.jpg

aftermarket cartridge w chip-1.jpg
HP Recommended

How did you do this via USB? Did you connect a USB stick direct to the printer? If I do this I can't see a way of seeing the executable file.

Or do you have to connect a laptop with the executable firmware file to the printer via a USB cable?

BW

Michael

HP Recommended

Please check printer model and download corresponding firmware file from https://www.ghost-white-toner.com/firmware-update-warning/ for your model.

Printer driver should be installed on your computer. When you start the .exe file it asks you to select printer to upgrade/ downgrade.

Please keep in mind your printer has to be with Allow Downgrade ENABLED !

Here are short video instructions i found on the net: https://youtu.be/3DxGnet3XLg 

Stefan
HP Recommended

Thank you for the quick response!

Yes it is most definitely a HP Color LaserJet Pro M254dw.

I have done what you said already. When I run the executable file and select the printer, a bar shows that it is supposedly being transferred and a smile emoticon comes up at the end, but like ThierryB68's Post 8, after it has completed:

"I see a 32MB " Firmware Update" print job going into the printer queue, but it stays there and nothing happens on the printer"

HP Recommended

This says printer has not received the firmware.

Allow downgrade should be enabled.

Also try changing USB port.

Stefan
HP Recommended

100% with you. If I don't get this sorted in half an hour, it's going out the window!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.