Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
Samsung C480 MF
Other

Updated to mac OS 11 Big Sur.  And now the scanner for my Samsung C480 multi function printer/scanner does not scan to produce a scanned output. 

Regardless of which output type I choose (jpeg, pdf, gif, tiff, etc) I get an error message at the end of the scan.

I use the Preview mac app, it loads, the scan previews (either flatbed or document feeder), the scan actually scans, but the process ends with the message:

"Scanner reported an error.  An error occurred during scanning".  

The printer works just fine with Big Sur.  The scanner is inoperable.

And there is no apparent fix, new driver or any other remedy for a product that worked just fine with Catalina, albeit with a few hacks.  

Anyone else using Big Sur and this printer?  Any way to get the scanner to work?  And recommendations? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

In order to salvage my Samsung C480FW printer/scanner, I finally just caved and purchased VueScan.

This allows me to scan ANY document in Color or B&W and to save in .jpg or .pdf format.

It's a one time purchase as updates are free.

Funny, they can get Samsung drivers to scan with just about any OS.  But yet Apple can't and certainly the idiots at HP can't or won't. 

View solution in original post

49 REPLIES 49
HP Recommended

So, it appears that I can complete a scan ... but I have to scan ONLY in Black & White mode AND using a .jpeg output.

Each and every macOS major update takes away yet another chunk of the multifunction printer's functionality.

Hoping that somewhere down the line HP will update the Samsung drivers for the scanner.

Otherwise, I guess I'm shelling out $90 to pay for VueScan, which works just fine scanning with the Samsung C480.  

HP Recommended

Hi,

I am experiencing exactly the same problem on a Samsung C480W printer.  I am sure it is happening to everyone using these printers.  However, note that in addition to selecting "Black & White" (as you have mentioned), you can also select "Text" and it will also work.

I have never scanned in "Black & White" or in "Text" before Big Sur, and I am just wondering if there could be an issue of incorrect/revoked permission to access the drive when we try scanning in "Color"...

Dear Customer Support, *please* find us a quick fix to this problem since it is rendering the printer useless for many of us.

Thank you.

HP Recommended

Same for C480 FW Printer Scanner.

Scanner works only Black and White for JPEG and PDF Formats.

Other formats or in Color Mode the printer reports "Scanner Error"

HP Recommended

Same problem here with Samsung M2070

HP Recommended

Same here with M2880

HP Recommended

In order to salvage my Samsung C480FW printer/scanner, I finally just caved and purchased VueScan.

This allows me to scan ANY document in Color or B&W and to save in .jpg or .pdf format.

It's a one time purchase as updates are free.

Funny, they can get Samsung drivers to scan with just about any OS.  But yet Apple can't and certainly the idiots at HP can't or won't. 

HP Recommended

Same here with a  Samsung Xpress SL-M2885FW.

Dear HP, please release some updated drivers!

HP Recommended

Same problem. Just followed your hints and now can work (only jpg / pdf, only b&w or text).
But Macos 11 is around since summer ... should have been already fixed!!!

HP Recommended

Same for me, Xpress M2070W

😞

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.