Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
HP DeskJet 3720 All-in-One Printer

Please help.

This is Matthew Procter.

I have a HP 3720 printer.

I'm using windows 10.

Everything was going ok like it had for ages.

The printer ? Well yes.

It prints.

Then the scan app I use? And have done for ages? Every time I open the app? The printer /scanner is connected but I can't scan because all I get is a message saying, please connect a scanner. Everything was working fine.

I've gone via settings, connect a printer, enter a pin etc?

Absolutely nothing works.

Please advise

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @Matthhb,

Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

I'd like to help!

Try the following:

To fix the issue, reset the printer, check the printer connection status in the HP Smart app, use the HP Smart Diagnose & Fix tool, reset the USB printer connection, and then re-add the printer to the app.

Perform the following tasks in the order given. Use the printer after each task to see if the issue is resolved.

Example of Scanning is Currently Unavailable message in HP Smart

Reset the printer

Reset the printer to recover from printer errors or failures.

If your printer has a rechargeable battery, remove it.

With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the printer.

Unplug the power cord from the power source.

Wait 60 seconds.

Reconnect the power cord to a wall outlet and to the printer.

NOTE:

HP recommends plugging the printer directly into a wall outlet.

Turn on the printer to complete the reset.

Check the connection status in the HP Smart app

Confirm the printer is connected and ready in the HP Smart app.

Open the HP Smart app, wait a few minutes for the printer to connect to the app, and then check the connection status next to the printer icon.

If Ready displays with a green check mark icon , the printer is connected to the device over the same Wi-Fi network. Continue troubleshooting.

Example of printer with a green ready icon in the HP Smart app

If Ready displays with a green cloud icon , the printer is in remote mode, which does not allow access to all printer functions such as scanning. Connect your device to the same Wi-Fi network as your printer.

Example of printer with a green cloud Ready icon in the HP Smart app

If Unavailable displays with a black icon , the printer is not connected to the device. Connect your printer to the device over the same Wi-Fi network. For more information, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).

Example of printer with a black unavailable icon in the HP Smart app

Run the HP Smart Diagnose & Fix tool (Windows, Mac)

Use the Diagnose & Fix tool in the HP Smart app for Windows and macOS to identify printer connection or hardware issues.

Open the HP Smart app, and then open the Diagnose & Fix tool from the app home screen.

Windows: Click the Diagnose & Fix icon in the bottom-left corner.

macOS: From the top menu bar, click Printers > Diagnose & Fix.

Click Start, and then wait a few minutes while the app diagnoses and fixes any issues found.

CAUTION:

Do not close the app during this process to avoid causing printer issues.

Review the app results.

If the tool did find an issue, follow the app instructions to resolve it or use the links for more information.

If the tool did not find an issue, the printer connection or hardware might not be causing the problem. Click Done to return to the HP Smart app home screen, and then continue troubleshooting.

Click here for the remaining steps.

You may also refer to this document for further assistance.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Elohi_NR
I am an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Hi @Matthhb,

Hope I was able to fix the issue. If you need further assistance, feel free to reach out to us. 

Give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers and did reply to you!

Elohi_NR
I am an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Hi @Matthhb,

As we did not hear from you, I'll be closing this case for now. If you need further assistance, feel free to reach out to us

Elohi_NR
I am an HP Employee
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.