Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
Color LaserJet MFP M477fnw
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Greetings,

I have a Color LaserJet MFP M477fnw that refuses to scan-to-email to Microsoft 365.  Steps taken to troubleshoot this issue:

1. Verified settings on MFP:

Enable default SMTP server checked.

Smtp server set to our M365 MX record per Microsoft best practice (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/exchange/mail-flow-best-practices/how-to-set-up-a-multifunction-dev...)

SMTP port set to 25

Always use secure connection unchecked (issue occurs with setting enabled as well)

No smtp authentication configured

Default from e-mail address set to scanner@ourdomain.com

Default display name set to "Management Office Scanner"

To left blank / user editable.

2. All tests via printer console and "Send a test e-mail to" in web interface fail.

3. Verified that our M365 tenant has the appropriate connector configured for our public IP address per previously linked Microsoft document.

4. Tested this connector with another scan-to-email device (a Kyocera MFP) as well as with a direct connection via Putty and manually typed SMTP commands.  It works as expected and test e-mails are received properly.

5. Updated firmware on the HP MFP, old version was 20160921, new version 20201022

6. Issue persists despite firmware update and all of the above troubleshooting.

What else is left to be done to troubleshoot this?  The device engages TLS connection even with the secure connection unchecked, so trying to figure this out with packet captures/Wireshark is not feasible, and I haven't found a way to force it to use a plaintext connection.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi,

All tests via printer console and "Send a test e-mail to" in web interface fail.

What exact failure is shown when pressing Save & Test?

What exact error is shown when trying to scan from the front panel?

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

I have the exact same issue. Have got several other scanners to work with O365 but never these models. I also have a post on this: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Scanning-Faxing-Copying/CLJ-Pro-M280-series-and-Office-365/m-p/7937362

Did you try with SMTP AUTH on port 587?

HP Recommended

Hi @DJokinen,

Please see my response added to your message and check if that may help.

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

Hi,

To set up Scan to Email through Microsoft 365, you do NOT need to configure the Default SMTP Configuration page.  If you enabled it, turn it off.  You only need to configure the Outgoing Emails Profiles.  Use the standard settings:  smtp.office365.com, port 587, check box for SSL/TLS.  Enter the account credentials.  Save and Test.

Now, if you have Security Defaults enabled in your tenant, you will need to create an Exchange Online connector and use the appropriate settings for that option in the URL you mention, which is Option 3.  Best to disable Security Defaults and create custom Conditional Access policies to cover what Security Defaults does (licensing permitting of course).  If MFA is enforced, an app password is required and use Option 1 from the documentation (if again, Security Defaults is not enabled).

I hope that helps!

Alex

HP Recommended

Hi, and thanks for your reply!

This was done as explained. However, a collegue of mine found out that you have to disable the built-in firewall of the scanner. I was surprised myself, first because I didn't even know about the firewall, second because as an IT-guy I'm used to firewalls blocking incoming connections only. Well, this wasn't the case.

Go to Network > Security > Firewall and deactivate the firewall, or at least setup a rule to allow scan-to-email.

That was it, now it works.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.