Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
HP 8720 officejet pro
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Digitizing old photos, I want to scan 4-6 at a time but have each accessible to save  with their own file/title/subject.

On the old printers it was a setting in scan.  Can't find it on the 8720.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Nan8LT

Download, save, and install:

HP Scan Extended

Set to save as image / jpg

Set Page Size to "Auto Detect"

Reference:

Dragon Document - Help, suggestions, links to how-to videos, and examples:

Scanning Program Options

Document Includes Information for:

• Know and Understand Scan DPI / Scan Resolution options
  • HP Scan Extended – Exceptional standalone scan program:  Single, Multiple scans, Auto-Crop!
  • NAPS2 -- Not another PDF Scanner
  • Printer Software (Full Feature Software)
  • HP Scan and Capture
  • And others…

Click the Thumbs Up to say Thanks!

Click Post that answers your question "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

@Nan8LT

Download, save, and install:

HP Scan Extended

Set to save as image / jpg

Set Page Size to "Auto Detect"

Reference:

Dragon Document - Help, suggestions, links to how-to videos, and examples:

Scanning Program Options

Document Includes Information for:

• Know and Understand Scan DPI / Scan Resolution options
  • HP Scan Extended – Exceptional standalone scan program:  Single, Multiple scans, Auto-Crop!
  • NAPS2 -- Not another PDF Scanner
  • Printer Software (Full Feature Software)
  • HP Scan and Capture
  • And others…

Click the Thumbs Up to say Thanks!

Click Post that answers your question "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Downloaded HP Scan Extended, now it won't do any scan capturing from computer.

2. can't find auto detect setting

3. How do I get into HP Scan Extended program.  I'm on Win 10 Asus laptop.

Very hard to find your reply as well.

I have 70 years really 50 in quantity to digitize.  Please help.

Thank you.

nan

HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for using the HP Forums.  Apologies for jumping in here.

You can use the HP Scan Extended as suggested by @Dragon-Fur or you can install the HP Full feature software which has the HP Scan as well.

If you have not installed the FULL feature software, the following resource will help you :

http://123.hp.com/us/en/

Key in your printer model, Operating System and download & install the FULL feature software.

Once you have successfully installed, click on the printer icon on the desktop which will start up the HP Printer Assistant.  Select Scan and "Scan a document or Photo"

Here's the steps to use the HP Scan software to scan photos with Autocrop:

1. Startup HP Scan Extended

2. Select Save a JPEG

3. Set Item Type to be "Photo"

4. Set Page Size as "Auto detect Size"

5. Set Source to be "Flatbed"

6.  Place the photos on the flatbed scanner and Scan.

The "Auto detect size" will automatically detect the photo size and crop accordingly.

If you need a visual, here's a good video example:

Scan multiple photos with Auto Crop (HP Scan Extended)

(it's a different printer model but the steps are relevant)

Hope that helps!

I am an HP Employee. Although I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Click Helpful = Yes to say Thank You.
Question / Concern Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

HP Recommended

Aha, I think I've got it mostly.  My error was trying to use it with the HP AIO remote program instead of a stand alone one.  Now if I can only figure out how to make the automatically save to a file just for digitized famiy history.  Thank you.  I almost gave up until I noticed you said stand alone....yay.

HP Recommended

HI @Nan8LT

Glad to hear that you figured it out.  So we take it that your issue is resolved?

Thanks.

HP Recommended

Oh dam, well, I'm resolved by using the HP Scan extended, but in the process the AI remote icon shuts off when I choose scan (for regular scanning).  It used to pull up a capture screen which allowed me to choose whether I was scanning a document or a photo.  Now it shuts off and returns to Home. So, I tried downloading the full software, and nothing changed.  Some of the prompts didn't match what was on the printer, but I chose the closest, for example it said the wifi was active but not the speed as the prompt said. 

So now what have I done? Can I use both programs? How do I get back to the original IO remote thingy for regular scanning .

Thanks for sticking with me.

nan

HP Recommended

Hi @Nan8LT

You can actually use the HP Scan Extended for your regular scanning.

However, if you want to use the HP AiO Remote, simple just close the HP Scan Extended and start up the Aio Remote to use.

If the AIO Remote is having problems, simply remove it then go to Windows Store, download and install.

Hope that helps!

HP Recommended

I would really like to keep the programs separate as the digitizing family history photos is a huge long project.  BUT I did what you said and uninstalled and reinstalled the complete HP 8720 package.  Still the HPAIO remote pulls up the scanning capture and then it goes off.  It was fine before. Help.

Too many hours on this.  Such a novice forever!

I'd like to go back and thank you for the other solution but I'm afraid it'll cut this chain off.  So I will later.

HP Recommended

Hi @Nan8LT

Thanks for the continued feedback. We're glad to help.

As mentioned earlier, have you tried to go toe Windows Store and check if there is a newer update for the All in One Remote?

Here's a screen shot of the All i One in the WIndows Store.

Hope that helps!

HP All in One Remote on WIn 10.jpg

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.