Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
Officejet Pro 6970
macOS 10.13 High Sierra

Hello, my scanner works fine when I want to scan a document on one side. However whenever I want to scan a document (double sided) with Easy scan, my macbook does not recognise the Officejet Pro and I get the following message (see attached). Both my network and printer are functioning properly so they do not seem to be the problem. Can someone help me solve this problem? 

Thank you. 

Screen Shot 2018-08-27 at 22.11.43.png

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Michiel3

Welcome to HP Support Forums.

I came across your post and would like to assist you.

I understand that your HP OfficeJet Pro 6970 All-in-One Printer will not perform duplex scanning using the HP Easy Start application. A single sided scan works but not double sided. 

I request you to give me some time to research on this issue and get back to your in the next 48 hours with a solution. Your patience is highly appreciated. 

Cheers!

HP Recommended

@Michiel3

Thanks you for your patience. 

Following are the steps which we found based on our research:

If you used AirPrint to set up your printer on the Mac, you can scan with Image Capture.

1. Click the Apple menu, click System Preferences, and then click Print & Scan or Printers & Scanners.

2. Note the printer name next to Kind.

Figure : Locate the printer kind

Locate the printer kind
  3. Do the following, depending on if AirPrint is in the name.

• If your printer name does not include AirPrint, remove and re-add the printer to confirm it is added correctly. Click the printer name, click the minus sign  to delete the printer, click the plus sign , click Add Printer or Scanner, click the printer name, and then continue to the next step.

• If your printer is not listed, click the plus sign, click Add Printer or Scanner, click the name of your printer, and then continue to the next step.

• If your printer is not listed in the Add Printer or Scanner window, make sure the printer is connected to the Mac or to the correct local network, and then try adding it again.

4. Click the Use or Print Using menu, and then select AirPrint, if available, or your printer model name.

Figure : Example of selecting AirPrint from the Use menu

Example of selecting AirPrint from the Use menu
  5. Place the document or photo printed side down on the scanner glass, and then close the scanner lid.

If your printer has an automatic document feeder (ADF), you can use it to scan multiple page documents at one time. Do not load photos in the ADF to prevent damage to the photos and the printer.

6. Open Finder , click Go in the top menu bar, click Applications, and then double-click Image Capture.

Figure : Apple Image Capture

Apple Image Capture
  7. Click your printer name in the Devices or Shared list.

NOTE: If a Software for this device is not installed message displays after you select your printer, click Install, and then follow the instructions to complete the installation.

8. Click Show Details at the bottom of the screen.

A preview of the scan displays, and then change any of the following settings:

• Scan Mode: Select the scanning bed or automatic document feeder, depending on where you loaded the original on the printer.

• Kind: Set scan as color, black and white, or optimized for text only documents.

• Resolution: Higher resolution produces better quality images by using more dots (pixels) per inch. Higher resolution increases the file size of the scan. Use a higher resolution for scans with graphics or items that require the best detail. If you are scanning black and white text, higher resolution is not necessary.

• Size: Use a standard paper size, or select the Use Custom Size option.

• Scan to: Select the folder you want scans to save to, or use the Mail option to attach the scan to an Apple Mail email message.

• Name: Type a name for the saved scan file.

• Format: Select the file type for the scan.

NOTE: To save multiple page documents or multiple images into a single file, select the PDF or TIFF format, and then select the box next to Combine into single document. This feature is only available with these formats.

• Image Correction: Click the pop up menu, and then select Manual to display color change options such as brightness and saturation.

9. Click Scan.

If the issue still persists then please remove and re-add the printer as an Airprint in the Mac OS. The following steps will help:

Step 1: Remove multiple printers from the printer list

Check for multiple devices in the Printers list, and then remove any extra entries other than one in idle status.

1. Search the Mac for Print, and then click Print & Fax, Print & Scan, or Printers & Scanners in the list of results.

2. Find the printer names that match your printer from the list of devices.

Figure : Printers and Scanner window with multiple names of a printer in the list

Printers and Scanner window with multiple names of HP Photosmart 7520 printers shown  in the list
  3. If you see multiple printer queues for the same printer, remove all extra printers by selecting them one at a time, and then clicking the minus button  at the bottom of the list. Leave one 'idle' printer in the list that matches your printer if available and use this printer as the Default printer.

4. Try scanning again using Apple Image Capure.

• If the issue persists then yo may continue with the following steps. 

Step 2: Delete the existing print queue and add the printer

Remove the printer queue from the list of printers, and then add it again. Doing so creates a new printing session.

1. Make sure your Mac is connected to the Internet.

2. In the Printers list, click your HP printer, and then click the Minus button  to delete it.

3. Click the Add button .

4. Find and select the name of your printer from the Printer list, and then click Add to add your printer. Do not select an HP Fax driver.

NOTE: If your printer does not display in the list, make sure the printer is connected, turned on, has power, and is ready to print.

Figure : Example of the printer selection list

Image: The Add window showing a selection of printers with one model selected.
  5. Click Print Using or Use.

6. Select AirPrint.

Figure : Menu showing AirPrint selected

Image: Menu showing AirPrint selected

Your new printer queue displays in the Printers list in an Idle status .

Figure : Example of a newly added printer in the Printers & Scanners list

Image: The printers and scanners windows with one printer in the printers list
  7. Try scanning again.

I sincerely hope this information helps. Please feel free to keep me posted for further assistance.

If you would like to thank us for the efforts to help you, feel free to mark this post as "Accept as solution". That’ll help everyone find the solution and help the community to grow.

HP Recommended

The said solution still did not work. When I choose "duplex" option of Image Capture, the application hanged without any response. Should the next release of "HP Easy Start" solve the said problem instead of using Mac OS's Image Capture?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.