Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
MacBook Pro
macOS 10.15 Catalina

Office JetPro 8710-AirPrint.  When trying to open the scanner from System Preferences, I got the error message "Failed to open a connection to the device (-21345).  I have tried Resting printing system - restart Mac and it didn't work; I have enabled IPV4 only protocol and tried to restart the printer...driver updated, firmware updated.  Nothing has worked.  I used to have access to the scanner through the Systems Preferences until today. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The solution is to download this package which will update drivers AND THE CERTIFICATE:
ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software12/HP_Quick_Start/osx/Installations/Essentials/hp-printer-essentials-...

Easy Admin did nothing. Easy Startup did nothing. 5.1 drivers did nothing. This worked for me!

View solution in original post

22 REPLIES 22
HP Recommended

The solution is to download this package which will update drivers AND THE CERTIFICATE:
ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software12/HP_Quick_Start/osx/Installations/Essentials/hp-printer-essentials-...

Easy Admin did nothing. Easy Startup did nothing. 5.1 drivers did nothing. This worked for me!

HP Recommended

Sorry for the double post!

HP Recommended

Running iMac (Late 2015) OS10.15.7

Besides the (-21345) error when trying to scan, I get a Filter failed dialog when I try to print. Downloading the printer driver software from HP & reinstalling does not help.

When I tried to access the recommended page about updating the drivers & certificate, I get a Not Found reply. Is there another source for that package?

Thanks. 

HP Recommended

It won't let me post as plain text...

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software12/HP_Quick_Start/osx/Installations/Essentials/hp-printer-essen...

End of link is this:

/pub/softlib/software12/HP_Quick_Start/osx/Installations/Essentials/hp-printer-essentials-S-5_14_8_4.pkg

HP Recommended

I control-clicked the link & it downloaded. Printing now works but I still get the (-21345) error when trying to scan. Any ideas?

HP Recommended

Did you uninstall and reinstall in System Preferences/Printers & Scanners?

HP Recommended

I only have the HP Utility in my Applications Folder. I do not have an HP Uninstaller.

HP Recommended

You have to go to System Preferences, then Printers & Scanners. Select the device, and click the minus button below. Then click the plus button to re-add it.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply & advice. I did as suggested and still get the message: Failed to open a connection to the device (-21345)

Should I restart the iMac first or afterwards? Should I do anything with the printer itself?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.